LandInvestors.com Forums **Ask A Question** Threats and Accusations

• Creator
    Topic

Ron DiIenno
    Participant

Okay guys, I’ve been at this for over a year now and have done pretty well for the first year. However, I must admit I’m about ready to set the whole thing aside. I guess it’s like anything else, when you beat down long enough, you finally say I’ve had enough.

I’ve learned to deal with folks cussing me out, but I’ve had people telling me they are going to call the authorities or call their Attorney General, things like that. I know I haven’t don’t anything wrong by just submitting an offer to someone. All they have to do is say no and throw it away. I have to be honest though and say it does stick in the back of my mind like “maybe I am doing something wrong or illegal.” I don’t really believe that, but nobody wants to give the impression to others that they are doing something illegal. I honestly hate to give this up and after being at this for over a year now, I feel like I’m about to turn the corner and do some big things. Basically, I’m looking for folks to tell me why I shouldn’t give it up or maybe provide a little encouragement.

Thanks to all of you,

Ron

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Brad Melis
    Participant
    Pro

Ron,

Thanks for the “from the heart” post. I’m new to land but not new to RE investing. I have done SFR’s for a number of years and had a fair number of unfriendly calls. Some nasty responses are inherent in all sales activity. We need to remember we are really salespeople despite whatever other name you choose to use, i.e. investor, etc.

If you haven’t sold before these calls can be a rather shocking experience. All sales activity has a high level of rejection and that is what is happening with these negative responses. They’re rejecting your offer not you. There is nothing illegal or unethical about what we do if we follow what is being taught to us.

If you don’t want the calls directly use a pre-recorded msg clearly explaining the acquisition process and ask them to leave detailed information about the property. I have rarely ever had a nasty msg left on my recorded number. Hope this helps.

Brad

Chris
    Participant
    Pro

@rdiienno1

My first question is – are you taking the calls directly or through voicemail?

How many deals have you done your first year?

Ron DiIenno
    Participant

Hi Chris,

I take my calls directly to voice mail. The threatening ones seem to mostly come by email.

I’ve done about 20 deals this year

Ron DiIenno
    Participant

Hi Brad,

I appreciate the encouragement. It just gets frustrating sometimes especially when it seems the don’t even read the letter which I try to clearly state that we are a wholesale land investment company. I even try to state that if they are not interested, please forgive the intrusion on their time and just disregard the letter.

Chris
    Participant
    Pro

@rdiienno1

Well I guess there are not many ways around it. I’ve experienced a similar thing that you have. If you’re concerned, perhaps you can speak with an attorney about it but in the end, you’re just sending an offer to someone in the mail.

Because the offers are sent “blind” sometimes you’re offering a a price that is 5% or below of market value. In my mind, I imagine there is a correlation between how low the offer is and how upset they might be, but you might offer someone 70% of full retail value and the still might get upset.

As stated above, we’re in the sales game and rejection and emotion is part of it.

And by the way, I hope you don’t mind me asking but I’m still a newbie just gathering statistical data here, but I was curious about your 20 deals. To do those 20 deals, how many offers do you think you sent out? Across how many counties? Do you send in small or large “bursts” of mail?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.