LandInvestors.com Forums **Ask A Question** Soil analysis on record contradicts logic

• Creator
    Topic
    Matt
    Participant

Hey everyone, I have an infill lot that has a soil analysis on file from 2004 that says due to lot size and soil conditions that the lot was deem unsuitable for septic. It’s a corner lot in a subdivision with houses everywhere (both adjacent lots have houses). What would you do? It’s a pretty good deal. Buy for $1,250, get title insurance cause it’s confusing with a foreclosed upon deed of trust, so I’m probably in it as much $3,000 maybe. Then sell for $5k or $6k.

Would you:
    1) but it and ignore the soil analysis
    2) give up and move on
    3) pay for another soil analysis
    4) option it to the neighbors for $2,000 and take $750 and run (seller is ok with the option, haven’t reached out to the neighbors yet)

Do you think the soil analysis was no good?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Joe McLain
    Participant

I think I would offer 950 and if they bite then buy. If not then run. If they take it then ignore the soil analysis. Offer the neighbors the deal and then run with 1k.

Joe

John Pitkin
    Participant
    Pro

I would buy it if it’s in a nice neighborhood (not too rural), and if you can sell it far below other comps in the area. Disclose the soil condition so the buyer can plan for an alternative septic system. I bought a parcel like this that had a rock outcropping on it and the soil was too shallow for a traditional septic system. Purchased for $1700, sold for $6900 cash.

Matt
    Participant
    Pro

Have you checked here: https://websoilsurvey.sc.egov.usda.gov/App/WebSoilSurvey.aspx

A friend of mine is in the timber business and showed me this site the other day.

Matt
    Participant
    Pro

Hey guys thanks for the input, I ended up just buying it and the neighbor actually reached out to me and bought it. I never had enough time on market to find out if the soil analysis would cost me or not. (Good problems to have haha) Thanks for all of your input.

Hey @mnunn1987, do you have any more information about how that website is supposed to work. I clicked around and couldn’t make too much sense of it. I’d love to hear how you use it.

Sincerely,

Matt

Matt
    Participant
    Pro

@Mattb – I have added those to a couple wholesale deals. When someone seems interested in farming or what can grow there, I can give them some info on the soil. I’m no expert, so I asked my friend. There is a place under the AOI that you can enter your GPS coordinates. Give me a shout at mnunn1987@gmail.com if you want me to send you some screenshots or something.

Luke Smith
    ProAdvanced

Good job selling that one. In some junk soil like all volcanic covered in grass for example you can still get a septic in. Just truck in dirt and run mounds. Where there is a will there is a way. Lots of people just give up if old school leech fields don’t fit. That land mostly got developed already. Now we are getting more creative.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.