LandInvestors.com Forums **Ask A Question** No county maps. Now what?

• Creator
    Topic

Patrick
    Participant

Hey guys, needs some help.

Have an accepted offer. The county has no GIS, or any sort of map that they can send. Only map is a “large plat map”.

So I guess my question is, how do I look at the property on google earth with only the parcel # and/or the legal description?

Thanks!

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Charlie Barks
    Participant

Do you have a legal description with the lat and long coordinates? what I have done in my Real Estate business is I use Google Earth in combination with the Earthpoint.us lat and longitude is locate where the property is. Then I upload the Map using the Image Overlay in GE and then resize it to fit holding the shift key so that way you don’t lose your proportions. You will most likely have to convert the plat from a pdf to a jpg first. You will have to adjust the opacity so that you can “see through” the image Then you can use the “Add Path” feature to outline the property. This was a quick tutorial but that is how I do it.

you might also try using Zillow or Redfin to see if they have the outline in their maps.

Patrick
    Participant

Thanks so much for the reply! No lat and long coordinates either. All I have is the legal description and a parcel number.

Patrick
    Participant

@jilldewit
    @admin

Where in the course this covered?

Justin
    Participant

patrick,
    Send me a private message and i’ll help you if i can. have you tried earthpoint.us?

I have had similar issues if well. Google Earth Pro has been hit or miss, but i have had success manually finding on Google E. Pro.

Justin

Jill DeWit
    Participant
    ProAdvancedStaffPrincipal

@patrick
    @volunteer87

Steven actually put together a cool youtube video last May to help finding properties.

Check this out:

How to get the GPS Coordinates for a property in a subdivision using Google Earth

Ariel Muller
    Participant

@jilldewit
    I have the apn for my parcel but google earth pro has discontinued the apn search option so i need the gps coordinates. i watched the video and found the plat map on the county site. problem is they have no info on it just parcel and road outlines.
    for this parcel ive already located im trying to get coordinates but i dont see a lat. and long. on the bottom of the screen when i put my cursor over the parcel?
    thanks for your help

Patrick
    Participant

I am at a loss. I guess I screwed up by picking this county…

George Dean
    Participant

Google Earth Pro not supporting APN sorta stinks.

If you can figure it out another method… This problem could be a wonderful opportunity for you because most people would stop.

Did you call Steve or Jill???

George Dean
    Participant

This is possible a great thing to check before we select a county too.

Ryan
    Participant

Has anyone found a alternative to the Google Maps Pro not having a APN search problem?

Patrick
    Participant

@george Dean

No, have not called Jill or Steve yet, but I may reach out. I have a couple of signed purchase agreements…

Jill DeWit
    Participant
    ProAdvancedStaffPrincipal

Hi gang!

Please watch the youtube video link I shared earlier. (You will get good at this – please give it a try and don’t give up quickly.)

This requires opening the plat map on one screen and google earth on another screen and spending a few minutes figuring out the lay of the land from the plat map and locating landmarks and street names.

For the parcel used in the video, Steven used the street names of Shasta Drive and Lea View Circle from the plat map and plugged them into Google earth with the correct subdivision and state. We all know what county/state you are looking for so spend some time playing with Google Earth and you can figure out closest city and property location. Will it be EXACT. No. Will it be SUPER darn close and enough to post the property? YES.

You got this!

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.