LandInvestors.com Forums +Success Stories+ here is to learning from mistakes

• Creator
    Topic

Allan Baker
    Participant

Just thought I would make a quick post about making a mistake on my first deed i sent in for recording just to encourage those of us who are still brand new to this game.
    If you were on the weekly call a few weeks ago jack and Jill were talking about making mistakes and having things sent back from the county.

I had mentioned in the chat that i had sent a check with my first deed for a couple of bucks more than the recording fees. Jill had said in the call to expect the county to send the check back along with my deed.

well the county cashed the check even though it was for $3 more than the recording fees. then they sent my deed back for corrections. turns out that if you leave off one of those “SW 1/4 OF” things on the legal description it will actually bring up a different property at the county, with different owners. so not only did my deed get kicked back for bad legal description vs APN it also got dinged for “Document not executed by owners of record”.

All that to say, it actually sounds worse than it was. a quick call to the county and we got everything sorted out. I just had to make the corrections to the deed and send it back along with another check for recording fees. this time the correct amount :~D
    luckily i got and read the letter from my PO Box before i dropped the envelope with two more deeds to be recorded in the slot.
    I double checked those deeds when I got back home, and found small errors in the legal descriptions on both of those deeds as well. Thats three for three!

To make a long story short, DOUBLE TRIPLE CHECK YOUR LEGAL DESCRIPTIONS PEOPLE! Then have your wife or assistant check them too. Its OK to make mistake just learn from them ;~)

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Robert Johnson
    Participant
    Pro

Yeah, I’ve had this mistake happen to me also.

Kyria Baker
    Participant

Yesterday I had a call from a seller saying she noticed I spelled the last name wrong. I never even noticed that she spells Gonzales with an S on the end instead of a Z! I was all stressed out thinking that now we have to send new deeds to her to be notarized and it’ll take another week. Man, was I kicking myself mentally.

THEN, when I was lying in bed, I remembered that the signature page is separate! So I just called her and asked her to go ahead and sign today, I sent the money (bank transfer), and I can fix the first page from here.

Funnily enough, I had an email newsletter from RichHabits.com this morning describing what had happened to me.

When the amygdala takes over, your focus and awareness becomes narrowed. As a result of this narrowed focus and awareness, your ability to learn new things is impaired, you become oblivious to solutions to problems and you are unable to see opportunities – opportunities that are all around you.

Thankfully, I had let my stress over my mistake go fairly quickly, and that’s when the solution occurred to me. Lesson learned!

Milan
    Participant

Yes Kyria, nice big picture thinking! 2 page deeds saved my a$$ few times already too.

Allan Baker
    Participant
    Pro

yes indeed! on the 2 page deed, saved me on all three of those that i screwed up the first time.
    Kyira it is great when you can step away from a problem, put your mind on something else and the solutions to the other problems just come.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.