You are here:--Getting photos and other sales-related questions
Getting photos and other sales-related questions2018-03-20T08:13:28+00:00

LandInvestors.com Forums **Ask A Question** Getting photos and other sales-related questions

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey all!

With my first successful mailing campaign complete, I’m now the proud owner of 15 parcels in four different counties. I’m now moving to focus on sales and am getting surprisingly lost. I generally understand how to write a listing, and where to post my listings (craigslist, landwatch, landpin, zillow, eBay, Facebook, etc.), but there are a few things I need some help on:

1. Photos of the Property

– Are photos of the property a must, or are screenshots of google earth sufficient?
    – How do you typically get photos of the properties you’re selling? I know wegolook is an option, but can be slow and sometimes expensive. I’ve also heard of people using craigslist to get people to take photos, but I imagine it can be a pain to keep finding new CraigsList hires to take photos for you as you scale up your business.
    – Is there a monetary threshold you use to determine whether getting photos of the property is worth it? For a $1,000 property, paying $50-$200 to get photos taken is going to legitimately eat into margins, but for a $100,000 property, obviously the expense becomes nominal.
    – Does anybody have a good system for getting photos quickly and easily? Of course, time is money in this business, and I fear that having to orchestrate photos of 15 different parcels (and hopefully many more in the future), will end up being a huge time-sink.

2. Property Attributes

– There are a bunch of items that would be nice to know/put in a listing, but are not readily available from looking at GIS maps, county information, etc. I’m talking about power, water, build-ability, etc. Where do you genereally

3. CraigsList reposing issues

– I know that it’s possible to get flagged as spam for posting too much on CraigsList or posting in multiple/far away locations. Are there any general guidelines on this to make sure I can post on CraigsList without having my listings deleted?

Thanks a lot in advance!
    Jeff

Kevin Farrell

Jeff – All good questions. I try to answer them.

1. Good pictures sell land. Ads with only GE screenshots will work if you are the very cheapest in that county. Add pictures and it sells faster and for more money. I run an ad in CL for Photographer – easy gig. I get lots of responses and I try to choose the best one. I am looking for someone who is willing to drive and find properties using GPS coords. If they don’t know what GPS is, don’t hire them. I usually try to bundle the jobs with 4 or 5 lots or more in one county. I pay $100 per parcel. This way a person can spend the entire day driving around getting photos and know that they will be paid $400 or $500 and up for the day. Good wage. I suggest that you budget photo cost for each property. If you hire a different person in each county and give them a list, it won’t be hard to manage. They take the photos and deliver them to your dropbox or some other sharing method and you pay them on PayPal.

2. Attributes are not too hard to find. Look at descriptions on other land ads in that area to see what is around there. Google that county or town and see what is listed for “things to do”, etc. Since you have multiple parcels you will only need to do this once for each area. This is the kind of thing a VA can knock out pretty fast. Sometimes the best information comes from the Sellers. I try to chat with them when buying to find out what they know about the area. How far is water and electricity? Is the road paved? Are there wells in the area? How about septic systems? I do not put a great deal of effort into gathering this information. Buy the land, tell people what you know about it, let the buyer find out the rest.

3. I have had great luck with CL. I don’t get ghosted (that I know of) and my ads don’t get flagged. I post them once and let them ride until they are about to expire. Then I re-post them. I definitely get more calls the day that I post because they are at the top of the list. However, I have had many calls from CL ads when I know that the buyer had to go down several pages to find my ad. Let ’em dig. Those are pretty solid buyers. My CL account is about 20 years old so maybe that buys me some immunity. I don’t know. Give it a try and don’t try to play any tricks with CL. It should work OK.

Good luck selling!

Jeff
    Participant

Thanks so much for the thorough response, Kevin! So it sounds like, in your opinion, good photos are pretty critical, and CraigsList is the go-to to find photographers.

Would also love to hear from anybody who has other methods/tips for getting photos (and for making your listings pop more generally), or has experience with wegolook.

Milan
    Participant

Yes. Pretty good advice from Kevin here. Photos help. But I keep it very simple.

I personally don’t use any photographers. Land sells just fine. And often I’m not the cheapest.

I found out that there is s such a think as trying to make your ad too good. It looks like you’re selling hard. I purposely make my ads average. Average ad, few google images with higher price than cheapest is my sweet spot.

Jeff
    Participant

Thanks, Milan! I wonder if the benefit of having photos varies based on where you are listing. So, if I am the lowest priced listing on LandWatch, maybe photos aren’t as important as if I were just one of a stream of unorganized listings on Craigslist.

Milan
    Participant

Jeff I know people here have different experience with buyers. But all my buyers, every single one of them who bought the land from me, went to see the place. They were standing on the land.

It almost seams like they know the area already. And they already know what they want to buy there. Or they go there over the weekend if they don’t.

It is just me and I’m still a newbie, but so far I don’t see a need for photographer. That might change in the future.

Anwar Montgomery
    Participant

Jeff,

I think if you can afford it, get a photographer. It has to make economic sense though. If you buy it for $500 and sell it for 1k, maybe a photographer might eat into too much of your profit. Maybe if you just want to get deals done, then do it. It has to make sense to you. But I can almost guarantee you, that you’re missing a large part of the population that won’t even click on your ad because your lacking photos that engage. When you’re posting an ad, you’re attempting to get someones attention. Photos and colors get people’s attention.

As for information in your details & descriptions. For the property details, I use Landpin’s template for the details. I fill that out on each property. For the description, I agree with Kevin, ask the owner. I have a system and a template of questions I ask the owner every time, so I’m not winging it. I ask them all the information I’d like to put in the descriptions. Then, I google maps the closest restaurants, conveniences, big chain stores, highways and big city.

With CL, I post every 3 days. It depends on your market though. If you’re in a small market with only 200 listings, listing every 3 days might be excessive and get you flagged. If there are typically 1,400 listings in your market, then every 3 days might be appropriate. There has been studies and research that you can google which shows the most opportune time to post on CL. Some of it is conflicting but you’ll find you’re groove. I put my times on a calendar and post it without thinking about it.

With getting photos quickly and easily, I use Dropbox. I also keep things filed in Google Drive. Google Drive seems not to be the best tho for photos

Jeff
    Participant

Thanks Anwar! Very helpful! So it sounds like photos are, if not absolutely necessary, a major difference maker in your and Kevin’s experience.

Do you also find photographers through Craigslist, or do you use another platform like we go look?

Also wondering whether people generally use craigslist as their go-to sales platform, or have had more success elsewhere (LandWatch, Facebook, etc.)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.