LandInvestors.com Forums **Ask A Question** Choosing the right location

• Creator
    Topic

David
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I am getting ready to send out my first mail campaign. I live in LA, I know I don’t need to market close to home but if at all possible I’d prefer it.

I want it to be fairly close to a big city and I also want a place where the land is relatively inexpensive so I can afford to get into the game, buying up multiple properties in a short period of time.

What criteria do you all typically use when researching/choosing an area?

Population – I know this is important. Seth from ReTipster suggests marketing to areas with a pop of less than 100 people per square mile. Is that advisable?

I did a quick search of some areas and was wondering how they stack up.

California City – It does not really seem like a very attractive place to live. It is out in the middle of nowhere without many redeeming qualities. That said, the land seems affordable and my gut says it will easily be resold. Thoughts?

Palmdale – This does not fit the population requirements Seth talk about. This has a population of close to 1500 people per square mile. That said, the area is much more attractive than California City and closer to Los Angeles. For the most part, the land still seems affordable enough for me to obtain. Because of the higher population does that mean there will be too much competition?

Any tips or suggestions are welcome 🙂

Thanks,
    David

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Anwar Montgomery
    Participant
    Pro

mail both and see what comes back.

I use Redfin heavy now and try to go where the sales are.

with each mailer you will get more indepth with your criteria and what works for you. you’re gonna get a bunch of different answers from a bunch of different people on here about their criteria. it’s a trial/error & learning experience thing. no right way to do it. just get it in the mail, get feedback and see what happens.

Mike Ferreira
    Participant
    Pro

David,

Here is my 2 cents: Lower population areas seem to be a little easier to price, but the program, as it is laid out by Steve and Jill, works just about anywhere. Maybe literally anywhere. I started in a much higher population density area than you mentioned and it worked out just fine.

As far as a place being unattractive, I think one of the most important concepts to grasp in this business is that YOU (or I) are not the market. An area I think is great can seem like a nightmare to someone else and a property I think is horrible is paradise to others. I heard a saying that fits pretty well: “There is a pig for every barn”. There are people will happily buy desert land that looks like the surface of the moon. There are people who will buy swampland. Buy it right, price it right, market it right, and make it easy to buy (accept credit cards, etc) and you will be fine. Let the data be your guide, not your personal opinion of a place.

Mike Ferreira
    Lotvestors LLC
    www.Lotvestors.com

Luke Smith
    ProAdvanced

“California City – It does not really seem like a very attractive place to live. It is out in the middle of nowhere without many redeeming qualities. That said, the land seems affordable and my gut says it will easily be resold. Thoughts?” O baby you will get accepted letters here. Do you really want them? $750 lots sell but how many phone calls does it take to pull it off? I had guys calling asking me if there are lions out there? Turns out their heard about mountain lions so they were not sure they could go look at the land with out getting digested by lions. That is a fun audience to deal with.

I bet $100 per lot gets deals there if the seller has enough of them to unload.

“Palmdale – This does not fit the population requirements Seth talk about. This has a population of close to 1500 people per square mile. That said, the area is much more attractive than California City and closer to Los Angeles. For the most part, the land still seems affordable enough for me to obtain. Because of the higher population does that mean there will be too much competition?” A Little more economic for the time to pull them off.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.