LandInvestors.com Forums **Ask A Question** which deed do I reference in an death of Joint tenant Affidavit?

• Creator
    Topic

Allan Baker
    Participant

So here is a different type Deed Question?
    I am working on a deal 10 ac for $3k so I am self closing this one.
    Title is held husband wife as joint Tenets With ROS.
    wife is died 1990. So I know I have to have the surviving husband sign a “Death Of Joint Tenet” Affidavit and Attach the certified Death CERT,along with the New deed.

for those of you who are familiar with filing this type of affidavit, in the affidavit you must reference the book and page of the document the Deceased Tenet is a party of. The owner sent me his original deed when he purchased the Property in 1965 but the the most current Document the county has on record is a Treasures DEED of Reconveyance from 1970 for Payment of back taxes. So My Question is which Document should I reference in the Affidavit? or do I reference both to cover my bases? both Document use the same language as far as joint tenets go. i didn’t get much help from the County surprise surprise.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Kevin Farrell
    ProAdvanced

Allan – I don’t know the answer to your question. The last time I did this I contacted an attorney and paid him to draft the documents for me, then I had them recorded after they were signed by the seller. The $300 he charged me was well worth not having screwed up the paperwork or creating a cloud on the title by doing it myself.

Rod Hall
    Participant
    Pro

Seems to me it would be the most recent deed. But then a recorder that requires an affidavit AND a cert on JTWRS seems weird too. I think I’m with Kevin. These kinds of things are maddening.

Allan Baker
    Participant
    Pro

Thanks for the input Rod and Keven.
    I have been looking at a bunch of these death Affidavits filed with the county on their online document index.
    To be honest the wording of the document and how the prior deed is referenced Varies wildly from the different local title companies to out of state title companies, on to the generic online legal document that property owners have filed. So I think I will download one that most describes the situation for this deal edit in my Sellers information and Reference both prior documents just to cover my bases. In any case it should do exactly what the affidavit is intended to do and more than prove that the dead person on the death cert is the same person named as one of the joint tenants on both the treasure’s Deed of Re-conveyance and the Original Sale Deed.
    I would think if anything referencing both documents follows the chain of title.
    I will report back If I run into problems with the County, but from document research this should be pretty cut and dry.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.