LandInvestors.com Forums **Ask A Question** When a church owns a property, who can sign over the deed?

• Creator
    Topic

Claire
    Participant

@stevenbutala
    @jilldewit

One of my offers was accepted, but the current owner is a church and I don’t know who is legally allowed to sign the deed over. How would I find that out? Do you guys know or is that something the county could tell me or do I need to check with an attorney?

Thanks-

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Chris
    Participant
    Pro

@Claire

I will tell you what I did recently on another real estate transaction (previous to doing land deals).

The owner was an LLC. I looked up the corporation papers online of the business that was selling the property. Most states have a way of looking up corporations/non-profits/llc, etc. I looked up the registered officers of the company and made sure it was the CEO/President that was doing the signing.

Chris C
    Participant

This is a great question for future reference. If you don’t mind me asking, what is the deal ? (Property, price, comps, etc)

Claire
    Participant
    Pro

Hey all,
    Weekly ambition call answered this question: There’s always a source document to find out who owns or is registered. Also, the county recorder doesn’t look into it at all, they just check to see if the entity that owned it before is the entity that is now selling. To cover yourself, qsk the seller for the document that gives him permission to be the signer of the conveying entity.

I looked up the church with the Hawai’i secretary of state and they were listed, along with all their officers and the registered agent. And I’ve requested the document from the church that will give the person permission to sign.

Finally, Chris, it’s a 4.2 acre desert property in CA for $410.

@chriscampos

Chris C
    Participant

Nice!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.