LandInvestors.com Forums **Ask A Question** What do you ask the county?

• Creator
    Topic
    Nick Frankus
    Participant

I’m about to call the county for a couple properties I have under contract to purchase. What things should I be asking the county when I call?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Laurie Phillips
    Participant
    Pro

Hi Nick, and welcome to the forum.

Here’s what I ask when I call along with the department that typically handles it:

Verify the current owner’s name with the clerk or recorder. Ask them how you get a copy of the vesting deed if you haven’t been able to find it online, and if the land is off the grid, ask if the property has water rights or mineral rights included (they will probably refer you to the deed). Ask if there are any easements granted through the property.

Check on taxes owed – assessor or treasurer

Check on how the land can be used – zoning, planning or engineering department. Also, ask them if there have been any permit applications for septic or building and if so, try to get a copy of them

Is public water and sewer available? – water and sanitation departments, hopefully not the same thing 😉

Most importantly, be nice and express your appreciation for their help. You’ll hopefully need them again!

Best,
    Laurie

Nick Frankus
    Participant
    Pro

Thank you Laurie, that is very helpful

Herbert Graham
    Participant
    Pro

Laurie –

This was very helpful Laurie, thank you!!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.