LandInvestors.com Forums **Ask A Question** Website Hosting Questions & GoDaddy

• Creator
    Topic

Jill DeWit
    Participant

@admin
    test #4

Got this question in from a current student and want to share with all!

Hi Jill.

We are loving the course material! A couple of questions so that we spend our money wisely.

We bought a (.com) domain on GoDaddy. Now we want to set up business email and a simple website. GoDaddy will provide both of these things but they charge $10 per month for the business website and $5 per month for the email addresses. Is this worth it? Or is there a cheaper or free way to do this?

Best Regards,
    Kevin

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • S. Jack Butala
    Participant
    ProAdvancedStaffPrincipal

@jilldewit

Test Question #1

Anonymous

@jilldewit

Thanks, Kevin. Great question and I’m glad you are taking the program step by step. These little details will pay off huge in the long run.

Godaddy is where we host also. I would hire Pronto Solutions (Neil) on our resources page or someone you trust to get your site up for a few hundred dollars. It usually includes several email addresses to get you started.

Ask for the “hosting plan” that is appropriate for you. You can always add to it as you get bigger.

I would not pay the extra $10.00. I would pay someone who is a pro in the hosting field.

Thanks, stevenbutala

Kevin Rhatigan
    Participant
    Pro

Thanks Steve! I appreciate the help!

Charlie Barks
    Participant

I just wanted to share a few things on website hosting and email…I set up my first website in 1995 and starting building sites in 1999 and have been building WordPress sites since 2002. If this is your main business website I personally suggest that you be very careful with your hosting and consider something like WPEngine.com because of their security and focus on WordPress. They are more expensive monthly than something like HostGator but well worth it if you are just going to have a couple of main business sites. Sure you can do it cheaper but the risk is getting your site hacked cause WordPress sites are a huge target these days with the bots trying to hack them. I have had sites hacked in the past and it is not fun or pretty and have learned some good measures to help protect the sites. Happy to share my recommendations for security plugins and WP setup if anyone is interested.

There are some precautions with WP and first is not to use the standard “admin” for your username, and use a password generator and use a secure password.

For email I prefer to use Google Apps so that I can use their excellent spam filtering and safety features and set it up where my email is not landwebsite@gmail.com but something more professional like charlie@landwebsite.com as Steve and Jill suggests. It will cost you $5.00 a month for each user but well worth it. And you can use it with your phones, iPads, tablets, outlook email programs etc…

There are many ways of setting these things up….and I have just learned the hard way and found what works best for me. Feel free to post here or contact me directly if you have any questions. I am not in the webdesign business and I don’t build websites for others….just so you know…not trying to solicit business…just trying to share some knowledge if you need help.

Charlie

Kevin Rhatigan
    Participant
    Pro

@charliebarks
    @stevenbutala
    Hi Charlie!

Thanks so much for the website advice and sharing your knowledge. I am sure there are many like me who have only a very basic knowledge of WP websites.

Can you recommend a good tutorial on how to create a lead capture box on the home page? I would like to have a way for visitors to opt into my buyer’s list.

And if you know a good tutorial for creating a contact form that would be appreciated as well.

I have found some great free info for creating pages, blogs, etc. but nothing very helpful on the lead capture and contact forms.

Charlie Barks
    Participant

Hello Kevin,

For lead capture you have a few options and the best are paid options. I haven’t explored any free plugins but you could try MailChimp free mailing lists and you can create a form with their info.

If you really want to get serious on lead capture check out:

1. https://instapage.com
    2. http://www.leadpages.net
    3. and my favorite is Thrive Leads https://thrivethemes.com/leads/

I also really like Thrive Themes https://thrivethemes.com as their themes are built for conversions. They also have a plugin called Content Builder that can be used on any website to help you make it pretty and give you options for design that you don’t get on many sites.

I use a paid contact form called Gravity Forms that gives you the ability to create some pretty detailed forms so if you wanted to build a Discovery form where you ask about their land they wish to sell you can do a really good job with it.

there is also some basic good contact forms like “Contact Form 7” https://wordpress.org/plugins/contact-form-7/

hope this points you in the right direction

Charlie

Kevin Rhatigan
    Participant
    Pro

@charliebarks

Thanks a million!

Kevin Rhatigan
    Participant
    Pro

@charliebarks
    @stevenbutala
    @jilldewitt

Hi Charlie,

Any suggestions on who to use to back up my WP website? Do you typically need to pay for this when just getting started?

Luke Smith
    ProAdvanced

@Kevin I have been using godaddy for years for other business websites. Have bought a bunch of domains and a couple different hosing packages there. I have also screwed up a couple of times. You know the old oops what went wrong now? Just call godaddy and they take your site back in time to before I broke it and there you go. They back it up for you automatically. On their hosting platforms you can do it yourself too.

They are also 24/7 available to walk you through your website problems.

Some people hate them but they are the largest or close to it for a reason. There are also a bunch of others to choose from too if you want to.

I am used to setting up Joomla websites. This site is wordpress. They have the same idea. I think wordpress is more popular.

Charlie Barks
    Participant

@Kevin,

Backups for a wordpress site can be tricky. There are plugins and online websites that will do backups, plus your host should also have some backups as part of their service. Plus you have the option of backing up both the database and the files…can’t have one with out the other but these can be large files if you site has a lot of content.

For a plugin you might check out Backup Buddy.

Key is to have it scheduled to keep regular backups.

I use a service called iControlwp.com and it not only keeps backups but you can use it to update your plugins and themes…but you only need this for backups or if you manage multiple sites like I do.

Security is critical with a WordPress website. iControlwp.com also has what I consider one of the best Security plugins on the market and it’s free. It’s called Simple Security Firewall.

But if you choose a good wordpress hosting like WPEngine you will have one of the most secure environments along with excellent backups included. If you only have one website, or even a few I would highly recommend WPEngine. They will also migrate your site to their hosting. Peace of mind is what you will get and you are smart to be thinking about website backups now!

Kevin Rhatigan
    Participant
    Pro

@lukesmith
    @charliebarks
    @stevenbutala
    @jilldewitt

Hi Luke and Charlie,

Thanks for all the great advice guys! As a newbie with this stuff you feel like you’re flying blind so it sure helps to have some direction!

Luke Smith
    ProAdvanced

Just got off the phone with godaddy. 9.20 pm pst. The guy who helped me was in Iowa 11.20pm. I love the 24/7 phone line help on whatever website problem you have.

Wanted my new site to show up. Thought it needed to propagate but turns out I hit my hosting max. They fixed me up for a few dollars and taught me some new tricks!

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.