You are here:--Undelivered Mail Woes
Undelivered Mail Woes2018-07-02T19:06:52+00:00

LandInvestors.com Forums **Ask A Question** Undelivered Mail Woes

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi guys,

I’m still a bit of a NOOB with everything, but I’ve encountered something lately that’s caused me some distress.

I’m using the “direct-to-county” delinquent tax list method for my direct mail. The last three counties I’ve mailed to have had higher than normal Undelivered Mail (between 15-20%!!). It seems to me that these county records are simply not kept current.

Has anyone else experienced high Undelivered Mail percentages like these (I’m used to seeing between 2-10%)? If so, is there anyway to circumvent without skip-tracing (are list providers better for screening bad addresses)?

Thank you guys in advance.

Ellis

Darald Berger (@AggieLand)
    Participant

@eljeff for clarification, when you say “direct-to-county” are you talking about requesting the raw data directly from the county rather than pulling from RealQuest or another data provider?

Ellis
    Participant

Darald,

Correct. I request data directly from the county. I have NOT been using data providers.

I assumed going directly to the county would yield the most accurate data, but for some reason, the last three counties I’ve mailed (using data directly from the county) have very high Undelivered rates…

Is it common to have so much return mail??

Darald Berger (@AggieLand)
    Participant

@eljeff well I’ve never used data directly from the county, so I can’t give an opinion on your return rates. If you want, PM me and I’d be happy to pull a couple of your returned letters from RealQuest and send you the data just to verify if RQ has better or different data than what the county provided to you.

Kevin Farrell

Ellis – I think your problem may be related to using “delinquent tax” lists. Those are problem properties. Some of the people are dead or they moved away. Most of us on this forum mail to all properties of a given type in a county. We get a lot more accepted offers that way. My returned mail is less than 5%. Good data combined with a good printing/mailer service will help weed out the bad/undeliverable addresses. I typically mail 1500 to 2000 and I only get a few returned “undeliverable”.

I suggest that you purchase data that includes all owners and try it again. You will be amazed at the results.

Ellis
    Participant

Kevin,

I greatly appreciate the insight. I’ll be mailing to all owners my next mailer! Thank you for that.

As an aside, you mentioned delinquent tax properties are “problem properties.” Isn’t this the idea though? Doesn’t delinquent tax status create a level of motivation to sell? I’ve honestly had four contracts signed in my last 1500 mail pieces using the delinquent tax method.

With that being said, is there a way to screen addresses before mailing and maybe workaround this issue?

Kevin Farrell

Ellis – Yes, the owners are motivate if you can find them. That is the problem you are having. They also come with a lot of baggage – too much owed in back taxes, dead owners, heirs who think they own the property but don’t, etc. Believe it or not, you will find that the list of non-tax delinquent owners will produce a good number of motivated sellers as well.

If you mean screening addresses prior to mailing to avoid “bad addresses” – yes. Use a good print/mail service and they will run your whole list against data from the USPS. The addresses that don’t check as good, don’t even get printed. That is why I get very few returned letters. Good companies are Offers2Owners, ITI, and probably click2mail. Read their information and call them on the phone to check out how they handle bogus addresses.

Good luck and send that mail. You will get good results.

Ellis
    Participant

Kevin,

I appreciate the advice A LOT. I’ll definitely take heed.

Thanks again.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.