LandInvestors.com Forums **Ask A Question** Total fail on using GPS coordinates with Google Maps on my phone in offline mode

• Creator
    Topic

Steven Kish
    Participant

So I visited some lots I own and tried to use Google Maps in offline mode on an android phone to determine where the lot gps coordinates were and it was totally useless as I did not have cell reception. I was under the impression the gps function would work without a cell signal. What are you using as an app and are you using a dedicated GPS device like a Garmin or Tom Tom to be able to do this? Also was wondering about useful GPS apps that do not require a monthly fee as I do not need to do this on a regular basis (like “My GPS Coordinates” or “Back Country Navigator”, as examples of apps for a phone if a dedicated device is not a requirement).
    Thanks

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Kevin Farrell
    ProAdvanced

Steven – I tell people of they are going to use GPS they should have or borrow a handheld GPS used for hunting or hiking for best results. Most people can find the property using their phone if it is near a road and if there is cell phone reception.

Sometimes my photographer is the first one to tell me if they can find it or not.

Joe Martin
    Participant
    ProAdvanced

Hi Steven,
    I now use oNX hunt and pay $99 per year for full coverage of property ownership, property lines, and works without cell service. Another resource I’ve used in the past is LandGlide, which I haven’t tested the offline capabilities, but its free. oNX hunt has been worth every penny.

Steven Kish
    Participant
    Pro

Thanks, any recommendations from yourself or others on particular brands and models that accomplish what we use it for, like finding the four corners of a parcel with custom input location data or maps?

Kevin Farrell
    ProAdvanced

No particular recommendations but look for enhanced GPS for best accuracy. I have suggested that some buyers borrow one if they don’t have one. That seems to be good enough for most of them. Most of my photographers who do outdoor stuff have one. If the place is really remote, I ask the photographer to take some bright orange flagging tape and mark a couple of the trees at the entrance and take a picture of it. I send that to people who are going to go look at the property.

Steven Kish
    Participant
    Pro

I am leaning toward just getting a dedicated gps device as opposed to an app on a phone at this time. Partly because I am just not sure my understanding of how a phone can work with gps is correct. I was under the impression that phones use a separate gps antennae, so when using a map saved for offline use, you could still navigate to pre-saved coordinates, but that did not work for me. Anyone know for sure how the tech works?

Kevin Farrell
    ProAdvanced

Steven – I think you can find that info on Google. Are going to visit each property that you purchase? I ask, because I have only seen two out of a hundred that I have bought. I only did that out of curiosity since they were within a 30 minute drive from my home.

danielholmlund
    Participant
    Pro

Hi Steven,

I suppose that it depends on the quality of the device that you are using. However, GPS can be used without cell phone reception.

The Android and iOS operating systems use the known location of cell phone towers to provide a “fast GPS” response that may only take a couple of seconds. However, the GPS receiver in your phone, if your phone is in a new location will take around 3 to 5 minutes to pinpoint a location using the GPS satellites, themselves. It depends on the number of satellites current in the line of sight from your location. There are 24 US GPS satellites currently in orbit. GPS will also take longer if you are at a high altitude because phone GPS are not designed to be as precise with altitude.

I often put my phone in the next to the window in an airplane … it takes a while but there’s no cell signal and it will eventually give you a position.

If your device isn’t giving you a GPS position after five minutes or so. Perhaps a different phone or GPS would work better, but a good GPS device should give you a location without cell service.

Daniel Holmlund
    Intel Developer Community

Steven Kish
    Participant
    Pro

I do not usually visit parcels. I had a friend who wanted to go there to get a feel for the county while I visited a couple of lots and offered to drive, so we made a day of it. It ended up being quite enlightening on a couple of parcels as to physical access routes and driveways that I could not determine from google earth, and seller information. That may change my marketing strategies, so all in all, it did end up being worth the trip.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.