LandInvestors.com Forums **Ask A Question** Title company recommendations in North Carolina?

• Creator
    Topic
    Matt
    Participant

Does anyone have a title company/closing attorney that they liked in North Carolina?

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Matt

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Daniel Browne
    Participant
    Pro

You might give Harry Marsh Law a call. I have heard good things but no real experience with them yet.

Matt
    Participant
    Pro

Thanks! I’ve heard their name too. They don’t service my county, also said their biggest competitor just got disbarred so they’re swamped. I’ll still try them next time I get a deal in the Carolinas but I’ll be sure to ask what their workload is

Ben Crapo
    Participant

I currently live in North Carolina and have been wary of doing Mailers in both NC and SC. Have you had good success in either of those states? What is your experience trying to lower closing costs?

Jenna Bannister
    Participant
    Pro

Hi Ben,

I see you might have mailed in NC. Are you still land investing? Do you have any info that might be useful to land investors for this state?

Matt
    Participant
    Pro

Hey Jenna, as a follow up here I will say that I used Harry Marsh Law and would recommend them. As for advice in the Carolinas, as with most of the east coast (WV, VA, SC, NC, etc) You probably don’t want to start your land investing career there (IDK where you’re at but this post will serve everyone). The nuance between lots with and without streams, rivers, creeks, flat, sloped, treed, timbered, ponds, wetlands etc causes a huge variation in valuation. If you price based on the bottom of the market you’ll be pricing based on landlocked or bad topo or wetlands, and be way below and half decent lot…If you price in the middle you’ll get a ton of accepted offers but most will have issues like topo or wetlands. I’d suggest starting where you have more consistency so your offer price applies to a larger percentage of your mailer. When it comes to the states above, it may make more sense to do a neutral letter and then price accordingly, but I’ve found that to be too much work, so I’ve moved away from those states and had more success.

You can mail them with blind offers but I’ve found your pricing needs to be really specific otherwise your offers come in way too high or low, just my 2 cents.

Jenna Bannister
    Participant
    Pro

Thank you for your input Matt! I’ve been doing deals in East and Central TX and Oklahoma. Those areas have treated me well. I mainly have to watch out for pricing based on oil wells and water availability. OK also has that slope issue in some parts. All of that affects pricing. I am getting tired of abstracts in OK. I have 4 great deals that we are waiting for probate to be completed too. I want to look at some prettier scenery as well, like those creeks. I am trying to branch out to another 1-2 states. I really like the prepper/bug out/homesteader type properties and was already in those online communities. The majority of people seem to like KY, but I tried to look at that state for a few days and I just can’t get the data in the places I was looking at in KY. Heard ID, another prepper state, also had that data issues. Was so glad to learn that before I wasted time looking at it! I might tackle those when I have more time. Seems like every place has is demons, ya know?

Matt
    Participant
    Pro

Jenna, for sure, to each their own. I’ve simply found that I had more success when my offer price pertains to a greater portion of the people that I’m mailing. From a time and effort perspective I found it easier to target areas with less variability. That being said, if you got way into the weeds I’m sure you could kill it in those markets. But as I personally still have a full time job it’s easier for me to get more mail out in other markets than to take the time to do those east coast ones properly. Personally I mailed VA and the Carolinas a lot (about 6 months), at ~2,500 units per month and got one deal a month, if that, and felt like I was treading water. I know other people get deals there but it wasn’t for me.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.