• Creator
    Topic
    Bill
    Participant

Hello all

Sent out my first mailer and i have a guy that has 3 parcels for sale for 10k 10 acres luna cnyt NM , 10 acres pecos county tx and 5 acres hudspeth county tx. i finally found the pecos one but the hudspeth i cant it wont pull up on titlepro or RQ. i called the county but the number is always busy. anyone have any ideas ive searched google for it everyway i can think about.

Do you think its a good deal looks like i can sell for 20k

if anyone wants to partner ill give more than half just to learn ive flipped houses but not land

Thanks
    Bill

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Trevor Probandt
    Participant
    ProAdvanced

Welcome to west Texas!!!! Good luck on Hudspeth county, I have no idea how to get that small. You are going to need to pull a paper map of the subdivision or find the section via Texas General Land maps online. Hudspeth and Pecos counties are NOT nice places, make dang sure you get the property cheap, cheap, cheap!!!

I have spent several hours in Sierra Blanca, TX with every part of the county admin, very very slow and good luck getting much info, nice folks though.

Bill
    Participant
    Pro

Thanks Trevor. I finally got a hold of the county and we sort of found it online just a block though very general.

James
    Participant
    Pro

Thanks for the info, we have a long way to go. From a recent podcast Steve said that when looking at this business from a financial perspective its days on market that is the key metric for purchase. Although Pecos or Hudspeth are not great areas the land may move depending on DOM. Assume the logical thing is to stay within an hour or 2 of Dallas, Austin, Houston or San Antonio?

James
    Participant
    Pro

Kevin noted to make sure that you can find the land on parcel fact or title pro. What does this mean and where do you get the APN to plug into PF or TP. We are just looking at zillow, landwatch, etc and then plugging the address into PF or TP. Also what is meant by ensuring there are less than 40 listings per county. Is that saying there should be less than 40 listed on any one website for sale?

Kevin Farrell
    ProAdvanced

James – When I us RQPro I can get records by hitting the submit request button. This gives me the number of records for the filters I have chosen. I do not have to purchase records to see them. I can just click on each record and it will give me the APN. Then I can test that APN in PF or in TP247. I do this in any new county to check on availability of data. I do this for about 10 records and if all of them work in PF I am happy.

My 40 listings or less rule is something that I came up with to avoid crowded markets. I usually use that rule with LW data. I apply this rule to a specific property size. For example – I want less than 40 listings for 5 acre properties in Grady County, OK.

This is just one of my rules for picking counties that I have come up with over the years. It works well for me.

Kevin Farrell - Moderator
    Need more help?
    Schedule a 30 minute call - https://calendly.com/kevin-629

Luke Smith
    ProAdvanced

For Hudspeth county I bought some out there a while back. Time to learn how to real legal descriptions to find them! I went on earthpoint.us and look for “Texas search by description”

Then eventually you get a map in google earth pointing to the section that the block or what ever is in your legal describes.

From there if you are still lost maybe give me a call i’ll point it out to you of if I don’t answer the phone get the bool Writing Legal Descriptions by Gurdon H. Wattles. The book may cost more than the property but you will learn to make much more then it cost if you read it and soak it up.

Once you find it and map it out for advertising please don’t ever delete it your buyers will never find it either. They call and their kids call years later looking for it.

Caution out there too your competition is selling land in the area 6 months no down owner financing. Have fun competing with that.

James
    Participant
    Pro

Kevin, really appreciate your wisdom and simplifying it for us. We are trying to make some type of checklist with these tips in there for future reference. Will add those tips to step 2 under confirming there is inexpensive properties for sale.

James
    Participant
    Pro

Thanks Luke included check the legal description on earthpoint as part of step 1 find an are where people look to buy inexpensive land. What other things would you look for using earthpoint.us or google earth in Texas. Kevin noted to watch out for oil wells. Did not understand the point about 6mths down no owner financing, for someone starting out would you not recommend Hudspeth, Pecos, or West Texas land but other rural areas located near Dallas, San Antonio, Houston or Austin? I watched your you tuber w/ Seth and noted that you said you would avoid the desert phase and the use of a title agency prevents headaches down the road. James

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.