• Creator
    Topic

Richard Castle
    Participant

I’m working on chapter 5.4. The county I selected didn’t have enough records for 5 acre properties for me to send a decent size mailer. I opened up my acreage criteria in realquest to include everything from 4.0 – 5.9 acres. I pulled the records, but I don’t see any category in the data reflecting the specific acreage for each property. I want the lot acreage line of my offer letter to reflect the true acreage. I’d also like to set the offer price based on the acreage. What is the best way to do this?

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Kevin Farrell
    ProAdvanced

Richard,

Great idea to pull more “5 acre” data from a county!

I had to double check to verify that acreage is not on the standard data set. Nope, it isn’t there but you can add it. When you do your data search you get to the page where you Select Export Data. That is the page where you see all the field names in the box labeled “Selected” in the center of the page and they have an auto generated name to save your data in upper left corner. There is another box on the left hand side of the page called “Add/Remove Fields” with even more fields that you can add. Scroll down and you will find “Lot Acreage”. Click on Lot Acreage to highlight and then click the right arrow between boxes to move that to your data field list in the Selected box. Scroll down and you will find the added field at the bottom of your list. Then export the data as before.

Then you should be able to customize your offer down to the penny based on acreage. If I lost you with this explanation, please shoot me a message and I will mail you screen shots.

Kevin

Richard Castle
    Participant
    Pro

Thanks Kevin you’re a lifesaver!

I was following along with the dvd and accidentally removed those data fields on the select export packages page. To create a personalized offer price based on the acreage of each parcel when mailing to mixed acreage, I had to add a formula to the offer price field, basically price per acre x lot acreage = offer price. I also had to make a few other modifications to the purchase agreement, but the documents appear to have merged without error.

I wonder if you could pull the data from Realquest and take a similar approach to mail to properties w/back taxes by setting the offer price to the back tax amount, or somewhere close? I know Steve says the response rate for back tax properties can be as high as 25%. I’m mailing to properties with current taxes for my first mailer, but it seems that would be a valuable skill to learn for future direct mail campaigns.

Kevin Farrell
    ProAdvanced

Richard – glad I could help you out. Since you brought it up, I plan to use a formula in the offer amount when I mail to counties for larger properties. I’m not there yet, so I will keep this idea in my back pocket.

Kevin

Kevin

Anonymous

Kevin….are you referring to a formula for the offer price column that will reflect the $100 offer per acre? For instance would it be something like (B4)*100?

Kevin Farrell
    ProAdvanced

Jim – Yes, if B4 is the acreage that formula is what I would use to offer $100 per acre. I recently did a mailer where I offered $200 per acre from 6 to 60 acres. I worked very well and I am getting signed offers back in the mail.

Kevin

Anonymous

Thanks Kevin

Shane & Chris
    Participant
    Pro

I have a different question about sorting data. When removing blank cells from the owner name I had 671 blank cells, then just first name owner blanks totaled 485, last name totaled 487. that totals 1643 cells that would affect the mail merge. do you delete all for mailing? the list after scrubbing gov and state properties was 1842 (decent mail size) now only 200? What might I be doing wrong? How do pros usually scrub the owner names?

Kevin Farrell
    ProAdvanced

Shane&Chris – Hold on a minute. If there is a valid mailing address you should send the mail. When I scrub my list I spend the most time on filling in missing first names, missing last names or just writing in “Owner”. You have to think about how this will appear on your letter. For example: Dear Owner, or Dear Smith Family Trust, or Dear Campbell Farm. Or if there is nothing in first or last name: Dear Owner,

These people still open the mail and sometimes they call. Don’t throw out that data.

Kevin

Shane & Chris
    Participant
    Pro

When I read what you wrote I think, of course! It’s so simple… I was thinking the same. Dear Owner. Duh! haha thanks for helping me through this common sense answer. Lesson: keep it simple, don’t overthink. We want offers to land owners by any means. Much Appreciated.

Shane & Chris
    Participant
    Pro

Do you spend the time personally to include both owners when listed or just Owner 1? I like to include the wife name too if I can tell its a couple. Seems more personal. Would you consider that a waste of time, or not necessary?

Kevin Farrell
    ProAdvanced

The answer to that depends on the county. If the Owner Name (First Name First) data comes to me as John and Jane Smith, that is how I address the outside envelope. On the column where I have Owner First Name, I just use the first name available. If Jane is first, I use Dear Jane. Sometimes that names are split up as Owner 1 First Name, Owner 2 First Name. In that case I don’t take the time to put them together in my list.

Kevin

Neil H
    Participant
    Pro

Do you spend the time personally to include both owners when listed or just Owner 1? I like to include the wife name too if I can tell its a couple. Seems more personal. Would you consider that a waste of time, or not necessary?

So, I try to include the spouse’s name whenever possible. That said, it’s likely a poor use of your time since any time wasted teasing the information out in Excel for the mail merge is better spent finding and scrubbing the next list.

However, I once consciously decided not to include the name of a spouse on a neighbor letter.

I thought to myself, if she opens this letter first, she’s going to throw it out before her husband has a chance to see it. He owned three consecutive parcels next to the one I was selling and I didn’t think she would be keen on him buying a fourth.

I kept her name off the letter and — sure enough — he called and bought the parcel as soon as he received the letter. Ha.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.