LandInvestors.com Forums **Ask A Question** selling to states

• Creator
    Topic

Jason Cochard

Anyone have any success selling to states, such as state park people? I have something where all the neighboring properties are owned by the state.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Brad Melis
    Participant
    Pro

Jason,

My experience selling land to the state was not very successful. I had 160 acres bordered on three sides by state land that was being used as a wild life reserve. After several discussions with different state wildlife people the best I ever got was “we would really love your land would you consider donating it and taking a tax deduction”. I probably wouldn’t go down that path again. You have to remember they are working with budgets and everything is done on a priority basis. They may be interested but it could take a long time for a response.

Jason Cochard
    Pro

Thanks Brad. Did your parcel have access at least?

In my case, this particular state just publicized their budget surplus, but I would still imagine they’d just offer the same deal.

Second thought, which might infuse this with a different topic:

I’m not sure about anyone else, but I put the asset’s fair market value on my balance sheet, not my acquisition cost. And we typically acquire at much lower levels than FMV. Thus, a donation to the state would amount to a tax benefit of FMV, rather than acquisition cost. If you donate a $25k parcel that you acquired for $1k, that seems like a win. Anyone have insight into that or experience?

Darald (@AggieLand)
    Participant

@carpeawesome sounds like a CPA question, let us know what you find out.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.