LandInvestors.com Forums **Ask A Question** Selling through eBay or Amazon

• Creator
    Topic

Blake Jones
    Participant

Hi all. Is anyone selling through eBay or Amazon.com I’m finding that “mail me a check I’ll mail you a deed” thing is frustrating cause I have to convince people I’m not a crook. I’ve thought of getting credit card processing through my website but aren’t a fan of the fees. Amazon.com and eBay all have buyer protections so I’m thinking that may be an option. Anyone using either of these?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Mike
    Participant
    Pro

The more deals you do and the more of a presence you build online, the less you will have to worry about customers trusting you. If they are low dollar properties, you are doing it the right way. Higher dollar properties and the customer may be justified to be hesitant.

Amazon does not allow real estate.

You can try and sell land on Ebay, but if you think this will be your primary avenue for selling, you will soon be disappointed and you will quit this business in frustration. Ebay may be good for driving traffic to your site, but it is going to generate more unpaid bidder frustrations and listing fees than anything else. FYI… on Ebay, bidders are NOT required to complete real estate transactions and you have zero recourse for non paying bidders. Completing the transaction is 100% optional on their part when it comes to real estate.. and in my experience, they usually disappear. What you do manage to sell on Ebay will likely be a lower price than you could sell elsewhere.

As far as credit card fees, you just need to get over it. To put it bluntly, you will never get anywhere in this business if you do not accept credit cards on your website eventually. By the way, accepting credit cards actually builds customer trust because if you screw them, they can just dispute the charge. Factor the fees into your selling price.

I have an app on my phone that plays a sound when a customer buys a property on my website. It is a cash register “Cat-ching”. There is nothing like sitting home watching a movie… or lying in bed… or walking on the beach and hearing that beautiful sound go off. It’s the sound of making money 24/7 and worth every penny of the fee!

Blake Jones
    Participant
    Pro

Thanks Mike. I appreciate the response. Are you using Moonclerk, Heartland or another?

Anwar Montgomery
    Participant
    Pro

“mail me a deed” is easily handled with a mobile notary that will meet the buyer and exchange check for deed. This “objection” should not stop a transaction.

Not sure if you can sell land on Amazon. Do not think you can. eBay is hit or miss like Mike said. I’ve had success on eBay but it would not be wise to solely depend on eBay for sales.

Have a way for all buyers to feel comfortable buying, online and off. Not everyone wants to buy online, I get that. For offline, use title and notaries.

Good luck!

Blake Jones
    Participant
    Pro

Thanks Anwar. Makes a lot of sense!

Mike
    Participant
    Pro

B.D. Sorry I missed your question earlier.
    I was using Square, but they booted me because I am selling land.
    I am currently using Stripe on my website but expect it will just be a matter of time before they boot me as well, even though I’ve done a lot of transactions with them.

For my terms customers who get automated monthly invoices I am using quickbooks. I think the payment piece if Intuit payments or something like that. The customers can pay by ACH from their checking account which costs nothing or by credit card for a fee, which I pass along. There is nothing at all in their terms and conditions restricting land sales so when Stripe stops working on my site I will try to connect the Quickbooks/Intuit payments to it. If that is too difficult I will just go with Heartland/JillPay.

Milan
    Participant

This is great stuff Mike. Thank you for sharrying this!

Milan
    Participant

I love the hard work, creativity, smarts and bootstrapping your way to the next levell you’re in Mike. Newbies should be studying your aproach in detail. I sure as hell am 🙂

Blake Jones
    Participant
    Pro

Great info. Thanks Mike!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.