LandInvestors.com Forums **Ask A Question** Rookie Mistake – Missing County Name on Notarized Deed

• Creator
    Topic

Cody Bain
    Participant

First off, I’m fairly embarrassed about this as I pride myself in attention to details.

However I just had a deed signed and notarized by a seller and it is in the mail towards the county for recording now. As soon as I received a copy of the signed deed from the notary I went ahead and listed the parcel for sale. 2 days later I found my buyer. I sent the buyer the copy of my signed deed to prove that I owned the property. At this point I noticed something strange. The line on my warranty deed which should read “NAME OF COUNTY I’M INVESTING IN”, instead reads “United States”. I wrote the name of our country instead of the county on the warranty deed…

So that deed hasn’t reached the county yet. I know this because I have a tracking number and it is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Should I expect the county to nullify this deed and not record it because of the error? The APN Number and Property Description are correct.

Super bummed about this because it was going to be my first deal, and now I’m not sure if I’m going to have to tell my new buyer that this deal can’t happen right now because I need to take a few weeks and fix my error.

I appreciate any input or criticism! Obviously this is a good learning experience and I know I’ll be fine in the long run

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Kevin Farrell
    ProAdvanced

Cody – Did you use DeedPerfect? Say yes, please say yes. If it is a two page deed there is a quick solution. Call the recorder and let her know that you have an error on the first page of the deed that you sent to be recorded. Can she please hold that deed until you can send the corrected first page. Some Clerks will help some will not. At the very least if you catch it before it is recorded, they might send it back to you and then you can resubmit the corrected deed.

If you created a deed that is all on one page, then you will have to get a corrected deed signed, etc. Good luck.

Kevin

Cody Bain
    Participant
    Pro

I did use deed perfect and I actually just got off the phone with the county, everything is okay and they’re mailing it back for me to fix quickly. Thankfully this was an easy fix and a solid reminder to triple check everything.

Kevin Farrell
    ProAdvanced

Cody – Lessons I learned

1. I will put the deed paperwork package in the envelope with postage but not sealed. Then I check everything out the next morning before sealing the envelope. Or I get another set of eyes to look it over.
    2. I do not advertise land until I get the recorded deed hard copy back from the county. I hate trying to explain to the buyer why there is a hold up with the deed.

Glad you have a good recovery plan. You might try e-file if that county accepts it to speed this up.

Kevin

Cody Bain
    Participant
    Pro

Agreed! I’m definitely going to take those lessons forward. Thank you for sharing with me and I’m also going to reconsider advertising before I receive the deed back. At least for the time being until I get more experience and am confident in the process

Joe Schmitt
    Participant
    Pro

I’ve messed up several deeds. My saving grace is that I ALWAYS keep the signature page separate so that I can fix them. Even if they’re messed up or if you have to correct them, it’s not the end of the world. Just explain it to your buyer.

Usually the conversations go like this….
    “I’m having some problems with the paperwork. The people at the county said it wasn’t just right, so I had to re-submit it, and they’re taking forever to get back to me.”

“Oh yeah. Dealing with government is never fun.”

“I’ll let you know as soon as I get it straightened out and then we can move forward, OK?”

“Sounds good. Thank you.”

joe@hyhproperties.com

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.