Topic

Josh George
    Participant

@stevenbutala
    @jilldewit
    @claire
    @lukesmith

Hey guys,

So I’ve ran into a small issue in regards to getting a property recorded in my name. This might be something for everyone to keep in mind for the future.

This is the piece of property that I received from purchasing the program. I’ve been working on getting pictures of the property and also trying to track down as much information about it as I could to get a listing put together. When I received the deed in the mail, I sent it back to the county with the recording fee. A couple of weeks later I received the deed back with a receipt for the fee.

However, when I contacted the county the other day, they told me that the property wasn’t actually recorded in my name. It turns out that because of the timing (tax season) that they had a hold on making any changes on the deed. The county clerk said that she contacted the assessor’s office and that the change would be made for sure by 2016.

So I guess I’m looking for a little advice on how to handle this or if anyone else has ever ran into this type of situation? Does this mean that I have to just sit on this property until the New Year?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Josh George
    Participant
    Pro

@luketsmith
    @lake17
    @jilldewit
    @stevenbutala

Sorry I’m still figuring out the name/tag notification format.

Jill DeWit
    Participant
    ProAdvancedStaffPrincipal

Hi Josh,

Great question. Technically a deed is official when it is signed/notarized. Now for public knowledge and tax reasons you want it properly recorded at the applicable county. Some counties (maybe the larger ones with more $ and personnel) have super computer systems and online reporting systems, etc., and some are smaller and might be using some older ways of tracking properties.

The bottom line is – it does not matter. You have a nice recorded deed with a stamp or a sticker showing the transfer of ownership and you can sell away! 🙂

In 15,000+ transactions, this has never been an issue and super easy to advise a potential buyer should it ever come up.

Happy selling! Jill

Josh George
    Participant
    Pro

@jilldewit

Thanks Jill. That’s great to hear. I’m eager to start marketing the property and getting the business underway!
    I’m so glad that you guys made this community available to everyone to answer questions. I’m excited to see what 2016 brings!

Josh

Barry
    Participant

@jilldewitt
    @joshgeorge

I’m having an issue as well with my free NM property. I sent in the deed, it came back to me with the stamp…no problem. But, when I received a tax bill I noticed it was for a different parcel. Their online system matched the mistake on the tax bill as well.

Three calls and two emails later nothing has been corrected. Every time I call I hear “Oh, let me check into it and I’ll call you back”. No call back. Or I hear “That’s a recorder issue call them, or “No, that’s not our problem, that’s an assessor issue, call them. One guy even told me “This is why we recommend people use an attorney, so that they don’t make errors on their deed” I said, “Use an attorney? For a $300 property?! There’s nothing wrong with my deed! The mistake is in your county system!

It’s been a long time since I’ve encountered this level of incompetence. But, that’s goverment…

It’s good to know that it doesn’t really matter since the deed was recorded & stamped. I’m just going through the exercise anyway, in case next time its a $3k or $30k property. It just won’t look good when someone goes online to check the property when it comes time to sell.

Barry

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.