LandInvestors.com Forums **Ask A Question** Real Estate License

• Creator
    Topic

Looking4Info
    Participant

So I know that Steve and Jill make fun of this group sometimes, but does it makes sense to get a real estate license to jump into this kind of investing? Would the background knowledge help? I have no experience in real estate transactions, and it seems to me from watching the videos on youtube that transactions can often go sideways and require some level of experience to resolve. Since I haven’t purchased yet, I don’t know the level of insight to these matters that is provided in the training materials, so I apologize in advance if I’m covering something already covered elsewhere, I couldn’t fine anything on it. Thoughts?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Kevin Farrell
    ProAdvanced

Looking4info – If you already has a RE license I think that would be to your benefit. I do not believe that you should pursue that license to invest in land. This will be covered in more detail in the full training from LA.

Kevin

Kyle Bryant
    Participant
    Pro

All the ways that I’ve seen a deal go sideways would be better served by a legal education. But I wouldn’t recommend getting one of those either. I don’t have a real estate license, so I don’t know what that covers, but you certainly don’t need one to invest in land. Most of the extra education you need can be accomplished with an astute use of Google.

Looking4Info
    Participant

Thanks Kevin.
    Good point Kyle

Shawn Swisher
    Participant
    Pro

I wouldn’t recommend it. I have my license but if I had to do it over again, I wouldn’t bother getting it. Most of what you learn in pre-licensing education is legal requirements and how to avoid getting sued. You don’t really learn about doing transactions until you actually start doing them. You can learn that through the Land Academy program, this forum, from the help of folks at title companies and from your own experience as you buy and sell properties. It’s not rocket science so don’t worry about it. Jump on in!

Living vicariously through myself...

Lee Shuemake
    Participant
    Pro

I’m new here, this is my first post. I have my RE license, I got it for investing purposes. Is it necessary? No. Is it a “nice to have”? I think so. I’ve been investing in houses so far, not land however. It allows me to refer to other agents to list legally (I’ve yet to do so successfully but I know I will at some point). It also allows me to not worry about “brokering real estate without a license” if I want to flip an option contract, but only helps in the state I’m licensed. I hang my license with an online brokerage so it only costs me 1200-1500 a year and no commission splits. It’s really easy to get, I spent maybe 5-10 hours reading/studying before taking the test.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.