LandInvestors.com Forums **Ask A Question** Qualifying Counties

• Creator
    Topic

Thomas Hybki
    Participant

Hey everyone,

I’m looking to qualify a few counties in the state I live in but I’m not sure what the best method is. I’m staying away from major population areas which is good. But what are a few other things you do to narrow down what areas to look at?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Luke Smith
    ProAdvanced

electronic recording
    Can i see the taxes online (county I thought was a call in county is actually a mail a freaking check to get the tax statement county) No competition there for a good reason.
    Is there land to make offers on.
    Not 100 but thousands and thousands of parcels.
    Can I find the land if I get an accepted offer?
    Can I pull deeds up electronically in that county?
    Is there a market to sell what you buy into and is it worth it?
    Are there any parks or something to advertise that you are close to?

Lots of others too but that is a good start.

Luke Smith
    ProAdvanced

Almost missed quality of mailer data. That should be #1

Thomas Hybki
    Participant

Great, Luke. Thank you for that help!!

Kathleen DeNault-Ridge
    Participant
    Pro

Luke,
    This is a great response.
    So…a “qualifying” county should have:
    1. online tax services and deed recoding services. That’s an easy criteria to determine.
    2. availability of land to make offers on…how can this be determined? Taxsalelists.com is no longer a free option to explore tax delinquency rates in a given county. Are there other ways to obtain data for this qualifying criteria?
    3. The ability to find the parcels on accepted offers…google earth or earthpoint.
    4. Market to sell land…pretty straightforward with looking at Landwatch or landandfarm.

Out of this entire “qualifying criteria” for county selection, using data to find counties with parcels potentially available for sale and/or possible motivated sellers has been my pain point.

Luke Smith
    ProAdvanced

Can you easily check the taxes? I got into one county to find out that to check the taxes you can’t just call and ask they want you to mail them a check for 2$ for each APN you want to check the taxes on. They will fax it to you! Advanced technology right there!

That is just too freaking slow. Found out later that is why nobody is working that county.

Got 5 5 acre properties in that county for 1K each in the middle of the national forest. Not that big or a drive to a major city. Cheapest 5 acres I can find in that whole county is listed for 40K.

Maybe the stupid tax check is worth it?

I like no competition but would not advise starting in a county like that. Start with an easy one.

S. Jack Butala
    Participant
    ProAdvancedStaffPrincipal

@thomashybki
    @kdenaultrdg

Thanks, Thomas and Kathleen. I have always used a simple concept which is described in detail in the Cash Flow From Land Program.
    – Take a look at census maps and look at population density. Lower is better.
    – Check to see if there are a ton of properties with back taxes in that county. Not because you will buy those properties but because its an indicators of that counties situation.
    – Check online sales at landwatch or landandfarm and ebay to see what they go for.

Then fire offers away…

@luketsmith, your participation is crazy appreciated as always.

Kathleen DeNault-Ridge
    Participant
    Pro

@admin

Yes…the problem that I’m finding is that taxsalelists.com is no longer a free option to look at the prevalence of back taxes in a given county. A full registration and purchase of their tax lien investing plan is now necessary just to look at the back tax data. Is there another method of viewing back tax data in order select counties?

Chaz Albrecht
    Participant
    Pro

Is there anything other than taxsalelists that can be used? @admin

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.