You are here:--People not paying, what would you guys do?
People not paying, what would you guys do? 2017-07-15T11:47:16+00:00

LandInvestors.com Forums **Ask A Question** People not paying, what would you guys do?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    #10159 |

I have people stop payments on my best land. But they live there and they don’t want to move from there. Now this is not a rural land. This is high quality 20 acre ranch in the city. It’s in Nevada.

I tryed to be a nice guy for 4 months now. But they don’t want to move.

They live there. What would you guys do? This is high end property.

Profile photo of MilanMilan
    Participant

This is a good lesson for me. Screan your land contract buyers well I guess.

Kevin Farrell
    Participant

Milan, Sorry to hear that. I think you have already spent too much time with them. I don’t think we can screen our terms buyers very well. Hopefully you don’t have what is called a “professional tenant”. That is one who knows the laws better than the landlord and uses them to take advantage of the owner.

Participant

I hope not Kevin. Instead of getting monthly payment I’m stuck for a while I guess.

Chuck Lidtka
    Participant

Milan, here is a good article discussing the “adverse possession law” and taking legal action with “squatters” of vacant land in Nevada. (http://legalbeagle.com/7168826-do-evict-squatter-nevada.html)

“A person is a tenant when he has permission to be on an owner’s premises and pays the owner rent in return for permission to remain on the land. If the tenant remains on the land after the owner has successfully brought eviction proceedings against him, or if his term of lease has expired, the tenant becomes a trespasser, also known as a squatter. Nevada Revised Statutes 207.200 make it illegal to remain on an owner’s land if you are not allowed to be there.

Give the trespasser written notice that she is not allowed on the land and that she must leave immediately or you will call the police.

Post “No Trespassing” signs at each corner of your property and at intervals of at least 200 feet. (That’s a lot of No Trespassing signs but it may be worth it vs. missing more monthly payments, and sends a clear message to the squatters. Then take photos of the signs for the police)

Contact the Nevada police and inform them that you have a squatter on your land and have warned him that he is trespassing. Tell the police that he refuses to leave peaceably; the police can then remove the squatter and charge him with trespassing.”

….and maybe you can rent a dozen skunks and let them loose to add to their enjoyment of living for free.

Hope this helps!

Chuck

Participant

Thank you Chuck. Great info! I appreciate you taking time to write that down.

Noam Ofan
    Participant

One more thing I’d add here.
    I own a few houses in Las Vegas, NV, and over the years I’ve had tenants I needed to evict because they stopped paying. I can tell you that NV law is very pro-landlord, unlike other states such as CA for example.

With a rental property usually the non-paying tenant will just pack their stuff and leave once you post an eviction notice on their door (costs $45 to send someone to do that for you).

Obviously your situation is a bit different because these are not tenants… what I’d do if I were you is google that city’s or county’s name and “eviction services” or something similar and look for a local company that does these things. It might be a much cheaper and way faster process to get rid of these people than you think…

Participant

Thank you Noam. Great info. I’ll try that. I’ll let you guys how it goes.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.