LandInvestors.com Forums **Ask A Question** Park County Issues/Landmines

• Creator
    Topic
    cupid-gave-up-on-me
    Participant

I’m about to hit the button on sending a mailer to Park County, CO. I just wanted to ask the group if there were any concerns or issues I should be aware of in this county.

Feel free to share your stories and words of wisdom. I appreciate any and all comments!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Laurie Phillips
    Participant
    Pro

Park County has over 700 active mining claims. You can’t build on a mining claim, so they sell for a fraction of the price of buildable land. Be sure to call the county and ask how you can identify a mining claim from the legal description, and then decide whether you want to mail them or not. Contamination and recent mining or drilling can ruin a property. I don’t buy them because the prices are usually too low for me, but others here do. Maybe they’ll chime in.

Good luck,
    Laurie

cupid-gave-up-on-me
    Participant

Thanks for the reply, are you telling me that mining claims show up the same in DataTree as real property does? I haven’t run into that before.

Laurie Phillips
    Participant
    Pro

Yes, mining claims show up in search results like any other property. I eliminate them by searching for words such as mine, mining, lode, coal, mineral, oil, surface rights, uranium, drill, placer, silver, copper, gold, etc. Some counties use odd names for mines, such as “Bertha #1743 Bonanza Queen #2017, Buckeye Chief #2018, Quartz Creek M.d Sec 7. 50n4e B378 P73,72 B590 P996” or “Part Of Hot Springs Placer #17099 Box Canyon M.d. 49n4e #643402”. I had to call the county to find out that the hashtag followed by a number indicated the mine permit, and there’s not a standard naming convention. I’m not aware of any search or selection criteria that lets you eliminate mines, wells, etc. any other way than to search the legal descriptions. I’d love to know if someone finds a way to do it though.

Best,
    Laurie

Luke Smith
    ProAdvanced

Look at the data. I bet the tax on them is stupid low or the assessed value or the acres or some other column of data you never knew what it was for until you hit this county.

Sort by all kinds of things.
    The APN might be short or too long or start with a M or something different. You can eyeball them in the legal then study the rest of the data to see what stands out and see if that points to the others.

They might be missing a census track number too.

Even if you mail them its not that big of a deal. I just sent money for a cheap property with a big water tower on it. I’m not sure they know they are selling the towns water tower. Maybe they are and i’m the sucker? Its really cheap. I did not know I was targeting a water tower.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.