LandInvestors.com Forums **Ask A Question** “Different” Responses

• Creator
    Topic

Ron DiIenno
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I’ve been at this for about a year now and I’m just wondering if many of you folks get as many nasty responses as I do. I’m pretty thick skinned, but I’m just amazed at how many truly nasty and inappropriate responses I get from some of my mailings. I’m talking so nasty that I can’t even write it here. Anyone else deal with this very much?

Thanks much,

Ron

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Ariel Muller
    Participant

Hi Ron, I’m new so i haven’t had that experience but was wondering, have you had any success in a year at this? what do you think it is that triggers such a response?

Ron DiIenno
    Participant

Hi Ariel,
    I’ve been very fortunate to have some good success. I started out on Jack Bosch’s program and did learn a lot of the basics. I really learned the most when I found Steve and Jill’s site. Seth Williams helped me a lot too. I have found my greatest responses from doing very focused searches. For example, I will pull up the GIS website for a County that I want to search in. I then look at properties that have been with the same owner for many years and have not been built on. Even better if they live out of state. I used to focus on only delinquent properties, but I no longer do that. I realized that I was skipping over so many great properties.

Ariel Muller
    Participant

great to hear its been working out too, the nasty calls are a small price to pay for a great deal.
    Do you target a certain acreage or price point? and what is your typical offer price?
    Ive been going through retail listings to find counties with lower price points per acre where a $500 offer would stand, (My thought is that i want to start with offers I can afford but I’m afraid to send to higher priced areas where my mailing efforts and $’s would go to waste) as someone with experience what do you think, am I over thinking it?

Ron DiIenno
    Participant

Sounds like you are doing exactly what I did. I started out sending offers on high priced properties and I did get some signed agreements back. Problem was I really couldn’t afford to complete the agreement once I got it. So why did I make the offer in the first place? I switched my thinking and began sending out only offers between $500 – $1,000. That way I knew that it was a number I could handle. Then I could start building up from there.

I don’t really target a certain amount of acreage. Lately, I have been targeting locations such as properties near water (not necessarily on the water) or mountain properties. More recently I have also been targeting properties which would be good for off-grid folks as well as properties which would allow for RV’s. I can’t tell you how many calls I get every day by people wanting a lot to put their RV on. Again, with all of these properties, I have been very selective by trying to pick only those who have owned the property for many years and done nothing with it.

Barry
    Participant

@Ron

I’ve been in businesses ranging from engineering to restaurants over 55 years and it never ceases to amaze me how stupid and nasty some people can be. Always remember there are A LOT of people on the left-hand side of the bell curve. I save so much time in my businesses by letting all calls, including my personal cell# go to voicemail and simply filtering out the boneheads. Every business has its negatives…I won’t let this one get me down…I just laugh at the voicemails.

Ron DiIenno
    Participant

Thank you, Barry. I’ve started letting everything go to voice mail as well. I guess that may not be the ideal method, but for now, to keep my sanity, that’s what I’m doing.

Luke Smith
    ProAdvanced

It seems that most of the negative callers at least for my couple mailers have been right out of the gate. Especially the first day of the mail getting out there. It seems to be ugly ugly ugly then yes yes yes.

Maybe the yes ones think for a second longer and the ugly ones have the letter in one hand and their phone in the other so they just call to complain.

Just had a lady call back saying she would sell that property for $10,000 an acre on my offer of $100 per acre. I couldn’t help it but ask if it was on the beach?

Ariel Muller
    Participant

@Luke Smith what was your resale value on that particular property?
    how many acres was it?

Luke Smith
    ProAdvanced

I did not buy the 10K per acre one. I thought she was joking but she was dead serious. The assessed value was like $800 for 10 acres. Freaking middle of no ware. No power, no roads, no access, no trees, some bushes but that is about all.

I just got paid on one yesterday for $2,250 that I paid 1K less fees for about 1K profit.

That was from my first yes caller but he wanted double what I offered. I was so happy I said sure. Since then I have bought the same size lot in the same area for 500 and 600 and 650 and 750. With better roads and neighbors and power lines, less taxes ect. Will keep working that area in the future.

Charlie Barks
    Participant

@ron I really like your approach of looking for properties that have been owned for a long time and by people that live out of state. The thing that I see about that approach is that you are targeting people that may not be in a distress situation and that is most likely the reason for the larger number of nasty replies. As opposed to doing the mailings to people who have delinquent taxes who are basically raising their hand and saying “I have money problems”.

We were on the receiving end of a low offer mailer a few years back and I just thought they were insane land robbers….(ha…now I know they really were pretty crazy and smart)….but I always wondered about their business model and how they could do that. Now I didn’t pick up the phone or email or mail them a nasty letter…just tossed it in the trash. But I knew the value of our property and was not in trouble financially.

We have not yet gotten to the point where we have prepared and sent a mailer to a tax list but I think that we would concentrate on those behind in taxes so as to concentrate our efforts on those that are more likely to sell for pennies on the dollar.

With that said I really like what you are doing. I just think that you are going to get more of the nasty responses, more than usual. Seth has a really good idea about using a well crafted recording to deflate some of these negative calls….a very creative solution I think. Did you see this in his material?

I have created a buying site that has been working really well and I am having an similar problem in that I am getting submissions that are expecting really market value offers….so I have to figure out a way to get my message across upfront so that I get more of those willing to part with their land for less.

Ariel Muller
    Participant

@charlie Barks how long have you been buying land?
    What kind of situations are the sellers who contact you in?
    Could you tell me what % of market value your offering on properties that come your way?
    Thanks

Ron DiIenno
    Participant

Thank you everyone for all of your responses. Interestingly enough, most of the nasty responses I’ve received have come from the tax delinquent letters I’ve sent out as opposed to those that are paid up on their taxes. Even more interesting is that these are not high dollar parcels and I actually made a pretty reasonable offer on most of them. On the flipside, I’ve been quite surprised by the positive reaction to some ridiculously low offers that I’ve sent out. One person was thrilled when I offered $1,000 for 80 acres in Texas. He said it was the exact amount he needed to take care of his dog at the vets office. I’ve had a bunch like that. You just never know what kind of response you will get.

John Graham
    Participant
    Pro

Thanks for discussing your various “different approaches” to finding your target market. I am glad to see that there are many ways of doing the same thing. I need to think more creatively so I don’t unnecessarily filter too many out.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.