You are here:--mailing documents to/from notary
mailing documents to/from notary2018-08-02T07:03:17+00:00

LandInvestors.com Forums **Ask A Question** mailing documents to/from notary

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

What’s the best way you’ve found to mail documents to and from a notary? Do you bend the return envelope to fit inside the first one?

Any insight you can share on any aspect of mailing documents to save me any potential grief? I’ll be mailing my first documents today or early tomorrow. My understanding is that counties can be particular about bent or creased documents, so I want them to remain flat at all times.

Thank you!

Greg Srader
    Participant

I always fold the return envelope and put it in the mailing envelope. I put the deed and check inside of a pocket folder with a list instructions that include asking them to return all documents inside of that pocket folder.

Patrick Ayers
    Participant

To keep documents flat, I’d recommend using 10×13 envelopes to send it, with a 9×12 inside as a return envelope. I strongly prefer having priority mail (with tracking), but if you go first class, this should be your best option

Alternatively, what I usually do is use the full document sized USPS flat rate envelopes (12×9.5 for letter, 15×9.5 for legal size) to send, with a smaller one (10×7) inside for return.

I’ve never had an issue with a document that was folded to put in an envelope, although I erecord, so I don’t know if that’s going to be a significant concern.

Neil H
    Participant

Thank you, both for the helpful information.

Matt Rogers
    Participant

I usually have the notary just send the new deed straight to the county, so they don’t have to send back to me. Bit more risky, but haven’t had a problem yet and saves 7-10 days.

1. USPS Priority Envelope addressed to the notary including the following inside:
    -The new deed made in my name for the seller & notary to sign
    -The cashiers check for my seller
    -A quick note for the notary telling them what exactly should be in the folded envelope inside that they’ll mail to the county recorder
    -Another folded up pre-paid priority envelope addressed to the county recorder

2. Inside the folded up priority envelope should be:
    -The newly signed/notarized deed in my name (notary puts it in after seller signs/they notarize)
    -A check made out to the county for recording fees
    -A pre-stamped regular envelope self addressed for the county to mail you back the approved/stamped deed
    -A short note with my name/number in case the county needs to contact me

That’s worked just fine for me so far in my self closed deals. If I’m missing anything or there’s an easier way, I’m all ears. Good luck!

Kevin Farrell

Just adding my 2 cents. I use Priority Mail envelopes and fold the return envelope to fit inside the outgoing one. Also, I don’t rely on my Notary to forward my mail to the county. I have it addressed to return to me so I can scan the notarized deed. Yes, it takes more time but I am more comfortable.

Neil – as to the documents staying flat: They are flat when they are placed inside the return envelope and they arrive flat even though you can still see the crease in the return Priority Mail envelope. I have never had a problem at all with any county rejecting documents due to not being flat. If you wad them all up I think they would just return them since they have to scan them and would have trouble getting the image.

Slightly different topic: Having used a few hundred Priority Mail envelopes I can say they only lost one. Completely lost somewhere in Texas. They never located it. It had a notarized deed and an original death cert. I had to call the seller and get everything done again.

Neil H
    Participant

I ended up using the flexible Tyvek USPS Priority envelopes along with a 2-pocket plastic folder to keep everything flat round-trip. The documents will come back to me and then I’ll file them with the county. Thanks again, everyone!

Neil

Jill DeWit
    Participant

@gws1977
    @neilhohmann

We do just what Greg Srader suggested. Fold the postage paid return overnight delivery envelope and put inside one being sent to the notary. Instructions with your contact info and signer’s contact info, etc., included. We do put the payment to seller in a separate sealed envelope that says basically “Please give to Mr./Mrs. X (seller) at time of signing”.

I also email the seller/notary ahead of time each other’s contact info so they can work out any delays and not have to call us. We include an attachment of the PDF deed/supporting docs in case anyone messes up or spills coffee on the docs and they can quickly print out another one. It’s also nice so the seller can read it online ahead of time and make the signing go faster.

Hope that helps!
    Jill

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.