LandInvestors.com Forums **Ask A Question** Looking for direction and advice on how to get started.

• Creator
    Topic

Joe
    Participant

Hello. My name is Joe. I’m 28 years old. Married and no kids. New to this site and to learning about land investing. I’m very interested. This is definitely something I want to do. However I don’t know really the best path to take at this point in my life. I have a decent paying job but I hate it. I’m just now getting to where I can make a change. I either wanted to go to college or go back in the military. Now that I have found this I’m not sure if I should focus on getting a better career first and then working towards investing in land or just use the job I have now to save and get started? I just don’t know really what it takes to get going and I don’t know how long I’ll have to do it on the side before I could give up this job I have now. So long question short… should I focus on getting a better career first or is it not necessary? I have the post 9/12 GI bill so I can go debt free. I don’t really know what to go to school for. My wife is a nurse. I’m a crane operator. Our house hold income is about 70-80. together. Thanks.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Weston Spiering
    Participant
    Pro

Evening Joe,

Welcome to the forum! 🙂

I am a participant in the forum just as you are. Full disclosure: I have not invested into any properties as of yet nor have I taken the Land Academy program. I am building my business plan now and will be pursuing the program on the 1st of October.

What I can help you with is where to start. I love that your interested in improving you life and your spouses for the better! While you are deciding on what potential career path to take I would encourage you to look at the forum and the podcast series [Land Academey on iTunes] like an open textbook on what to expect on this business. You do not need a “better” career than what you already have.

From a financial perspective Land Academy offers resources for people like us who need financial support in the form of sharing deals. Essentially you do all the work, another individual fronts the cash and you split the profits at the close of the deal. I wish you all the best on searching for the career that best fits your needs!

Joe Schmitt
    Participant
    Pro

Hi Joe. With a name like that, you’ve got to be a good guy!

I have two bachelor’s degrees, and a masters degree. I used to be an adjunct college professor.
    Now I flip land.

I have a pretty good job as an IT architect. By most people’s standards, I am well-compensated.
    And I flip land.

My fiance’ is a nurse at the top of union scale, drawing full benefits working 32 hours a week.
    And she is quitting in 2 months because our land business is so busy and the opportunity cost is too great for her to stay in that job. She also doesn’t want to be on call or ever work another weekend shift.

I got walked out of a great corporate job 4 years ago when I was doing a heck of a good job. Wrong place, wrong time. “Joe, your position has been eliminated.” If I stay in corporate America, it’ll happen again, and I’ll be in my 50’s or 60’s rather than in my 40’s.

Real estate and the land business are not for the faint of heart. I feel like a street fighter most days in my land business. I’m bare knuckle brawling to find good leads and move property. But it’s my business. It’s something that I’ve learned and built and I only have to answer to myself.

If you’re thinking about it, do it now before you have kids. Do it before all your time gets sucked up and while you can take a few risks. It’s worth it.

joe@hyhproperties.com

Joe
    Participant

Weston, how are you? I appreciate you responding to my question very much. Good luck on your journey.
    I guess I just need to educate myself some more to see what it takes to start out and decide if it’s worth finding a different vehicle (job) in the meanwhile or not. Appreciate you.

Joe
    Participant

Joe! Thank you for your reply to my post! I have found value in it for sure. I feel like you are able to relate to my current situation in a lot of ways. It’s inspiring to hear your story. I’m not sure if my wife is willing to work with me or not she loves being a nurse! That’s awesome that your wife is your team member in your business. I guess I’m just wondering how much your job plays a roll in being able to do this business also. Especially when you say this business isn’t for the faint at heart I feel like I’m gonna have to put as much time as possible into it outside of my own job. The words “Its worth it” is enough for me to want to pursue this.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.