• Creator
    Topic

Blake Jones
    Participant

Anyone using Land Speed as a CRM? How’s it working for you?

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Kevin Farrell
    ProAdvanced

Blake – We tried it for a few months. Very expensive. I will say that Howard Zonder has assembled a very capable system. A lot of the business is automated for you in LandSpeed. It was a bit too techy for us. We needed something with a friendlier interface (ie Dumber).

You might look at Airtable and Pipedrive.

Kevin

Joe Schmitt
    Participant
    Pro

I am an IT architect and consultant. As such, I am kind of a software snob. Here is my take on land investing software. Take it for what it’s worth.

Most software that supports the business of land investing was created by someone to meet their own needs. They ran into a bottleneck somewhere and decided to create a tool to solve the problem. They started some stuff on their own, ran into a skills gap, and probably hired someone to finish it based on their requirements. It was probably a “One and done” project. They probably did very little to gather requirements from anyone but themselves. They probably paid almost no attention to user interface & user experience (e.g. how usable the tool is to people other than themselves). They probably didn’t do a lot of formal testing beyond using the tool and telling the developer what didn’t work. And they probably aren’t doing any kind of regression testing on the rare occasion that the software is updated.

Good software is a living, breathing entity that is continuously updated. Look at the apps on your phone. They are updating all the time. You’re getting new features and bug fixes on a very regular basis, and my guess is that you are not paying for 90% of your apps. Do you want to pay $200+ a month for an app that was built a year ago and hasn’t been looked at since? If I’m shelling out my hard earned cash for an app, they better damn well have someone pounding away on that app pretty regularly.

I’m a much bigger fan larger, general purpose apps like Pipedrive, Airtable, and Mapright because there is a development team that supports them. You are part of a much larger pool of buyers that helps to drive the app quality up. In larger apps, here is a process for handling defects (you can actually open a ticket that will go to a developer if necessary), and there is a formal intake mechanism for enhancements. All software should have a scheduled release cycle that addresses defects and enhancements. There should be good testing methodologies across development, test, and production environments. If the software doesn’t have this kind of rigor, it’s just someone trying to monetize a hobby, and they’re not serious about creating quality software.

joe@hyhproperties.com

Edgar
    Participant

I am big believer that you get what you put in to your CRM. I have seen teams with the ‘BEST’ CRMS out there and they aren’t using it to capacity.

I myself have tried a few, and I currently use Zoho CRM. Here is how I use it:

– I have chat support built into my system, so anytime a user chats with me through my site. I push the lead directly into the system.

– Any lead that calls me directly connected through a phonebridge. So I can see the lead call in, click on the lead and it leads me directly to there contact info.

– It has widget to help me keep track of leads, contract, and revenue within my homepage. See attached.

– It has a lot of other things but you get where I’m going with this. Put the time and effort to get to know your system and customize to your business.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Blake Jones
    Participant
    Pro

Appreciate the responses everyone. Good thoughts!

Blake Jones
    Participant
    Pro

So Kevin, how do you keep yourself organized? So you have another CRM or system you’re using?

danielholmlund
    Participant
    Pro

Great to see a discussion on the forums about the software that people use in their land business. For my W2 job I’m a software developer at Intel and so I’m very curious about the software that other people use in their business.

I’ve been thinking about potentially building online tools for land investment. For example, I have a dashboard that organizes all of my marketing to Facebook, Craigslist and landandfarm. It’s been very useful to me, but I’m not sure if others would find it useful as well.

So I’m interested in hearing from the group what software tools they would be interested in seeing built for this community. Are there any tools gaps that should be filled? I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Michael Aillon
    Participant
    Pro

@danielholmlund,

Can you share a little more about how you assembled a dashboard for CL, FB and LF?

Thanks!

danielholmlund
    Participant
    Pro

Hi @MichaelAillon,

I’d be glad to share more about it. I usually run my business by:

1. Defining the business workflows that I need to keep the business going.
    2. Finding a quick way to automate them (usually this involves paying someone or purchasing a service online)
    3. Writing software to automate it myself and eliminate the cost from step 2.

My marketing dashboard is a work in progress. The frontend is written using React.js and the backend is hosted on Firebase. I’ve written several Python web services that visit FB, CL, realtor.com, landwatch and landmodo. They crawl the sites in a friendly and make the information that I need to put together offers in an automated way and track marketing. I don’t generate heavy server load. I download information from these sites over a period of time like a good citizen.

On the marketing side, the webapp tracks the ads that I have, how long then have been posted, and if they have been flagged for removal.

I enjoy writing the software … even though I know it takes time away from my core business. So I’ve been thinking about monetizing these webapps and inviting people from the community to try them.

Michael Aillon
    Participant
    Pro

Interesting. I’ve never talked to anyone who has taken this deep of an approach with FB, CL and realtor.com.

I’m a developer too (legacy) but don’t have much experience with the newest technologies like React or Firebase.

You could be on to something really big here. Consistent marketing for sellers and buyers is 80% of this business. If you can remove (or reduce) the tendency for marketing to become inconsistent (because humans suck at being consistent), then you have something of real value.

Best of luck. Let me know if you need a beta tester 😉

Kevin Farrell
    ProAdvanced

Blake – PM sent

Kevin

Blake Jones
    Participant
    Pro

Got it Thanks Kevin!

Hayden
    Participant
    Pro

Hey @rotortech , I use PipeDrive as well , how are you using AirTable with it? Thanks for all of your posts on here! Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Kevin Farrell
    ProAdvanced

Hayden – We tried AirTable and I love the layout and flexibility. My wife does all the accounting and bookeeping and she could not get the financial information to report from AirTable the way she needed it. So we looked for alternatives. We are using PipeDrive now. It is OK for now. It is a great way to hold all the information associated with a deal. And we get the financial stuff out of it that we need. Not quite as friendly as AirTable but pretty good.

As someone else mentioned: you get out of it what you put into it. Spend a lot of time setting it up to do what you want and it will be great. Nothing out there works right out of the box. Maybe someday.

Kevin

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.