LandInvestors.com Forums +Resources for Success+ Index Map with APN Scheme

• Creator
    Topic

Daniel Bear
    Participant

I have tried to get a hold of the Index Maps from a few counties and have come up empty handed. Could anyone shed some more light on who is the best person at the county office to talk to in order obtain these maps or any additional information that may be helpful? Thanks.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Kevin Farrell
    ProAdvanced

Try contacting @gene. He did this recently and it was an Herculean effort. Nobody knew what he was talking about when he called them. It took many calls.

Luke Smith
    ProAdvanced

Can’t we just click on the parcels on the map in titlepro247? Take notes of the APN. North west corner. North East corner southwest corner and then south east corner. Test the area you want to cover. See if the numbers make a pattern. Seems like lots of them are laid out from left to right.

Gene
    Participant
    ProAdvanced

I got 6 different Index Maps from 9 different counties. Most of the people I spoke to had no idea what an Index Map was. I got transferred a lot from one office to another and one person to another. Some would e-mail me files that were not what I was looking for. Clark County (Nevada) has a very detailed one online. I sent links of that to different offices and a few would respond with something akin to “Ohhhh! You want one of those!”

Overall, once I narrowed it down to a handful of counties I had my VA go on Land & Farm and Land Watch and make a spreadsheet of all the properties in the specific counties with APN, GPS coordinates, Legal Descriptions and price then started pulling them up in Google Maps. This gave me a better sense of what was where (xyz subdivision is in the northeast, abc subdivision in the southwest, things like that). It also gave me a sense of why one was priced higher than another (closer to a big city versus more rural). Not dissimilar to what Luke proposed above. I’m currently in the process of pulling lists from two different counties, scrubbing it, then organizing it by subdivision. If there’s any I don’t know the location of I’ll do something like what Luke suggested of going into Title Pro and just clicking around and studying the APNs to figure out what is where.

Robert Johnson
    Participant
    Pro

I spoke with Jack about this and he is supposed to come out with a tutorial for index mapping.

Pat Aungier
    Participant
    Pro

Video below shows how you can import mailer spreadsheets into Google Earth to create APN maps.

You need to setup a few things in your spreadsheet before you can import it. Send me an email if you want the spreadsheet = pat@northroadgroup.com

Pat Aungier

Gene
    Participant
    ProAdvanced

Pat,

VERY IMPRESSIVE! (I think you’re showing off).

I did something similar to this – though not nearly as sophisticated – by simply looking up every APN in Parcel Fact. I color coded a county map based on desirable areas. The places close to the lake were blue, the parts around a major city red, the really rural area green, etc. Then I looked them all up (my assistant did it for the next County) and assigned a color. I then assigned a “price point gradiant” (fancy term) to each area. So let’s say in one area 1 Acre gets a $500 Offer and 2 Acres gets $900 and 3 Acres gets $1,300, etc. But in a MORE desirable area maybe the offer per acre graduates by $500 or $600, etc.

Your way was a VERY SMART way of doing it. Bravo!

Pat Aungier
    Participant
    Pro

Gene,
    Thanks for sharing how you set offers. To me, setting offer prices is the trickiest part of the process. The APN maps are just another tool to help figure it out.

As you say, there’s a lot of judgement involved in setting offer prices (limited comps, attributes). But at least we can see where the mailers are going and start to narrow it down.

Gene
    Participant
    ProAdvanced

Yeah, I’m by no means an expert. This “price point gradiant” is really just something I’m testing to see how well it works. Check back with me in about seven months after I’ve tried it on a handful of different mailers.

Pat Aungier
    Participant
    Pro

Here’s another way to create an APN map. This is even easier than prior way with Earthpoint to Google Earth. You still have to translate STR into Lat/Long, but no formulas, pivot table or exploding icons.

Take a look…

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.