LandInvestors.com Forums $10K a Month for Life; Cash Flow From Land Chapter 3 – Cash Flow From Land Improved % does not mean There’s not a home there?

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    Aroldo Villarreal
    Participant

I’ve been running searches on RQ and then inputting some of the addresses into the county appraisal district. Even though I have 0 to 0 on the improved %, there’s property that do have a home built on them.

So then I enter Building/Living Area of 0 to 0 and get 0 results. This has been in several different counties. Besides the acreage numbers, I followed CFFL course instructions on selecting the criteria. Is this a mistake?

These are all owner-occupied properties as well. Some even have homestead exemptions. Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Aroldo Villarreal
    Participant

Also, I looked on google maps with satellite images and saw homes built on there.

Laurie Phillips
    Participant

Welcome Aroldo,

Some counties don’t use improvement % at all, and when you get one of those counties you’re going to get land and houses in your search results. You can always use the additional report data from the Realquest download to figure out what is likely to be a house (i.e., power, sewer, mortgage, etc.) but you may end up deleting a lot of records.

I try to figure this out before I invest too much time with a county. I sort my searches by Total Assessed Value in descending order. Then I do exactly what you did – look at the highest assessed properties in Parcelfact and/or Google maps to see if they have improvements. If I check 5 or so RQ results and they’re all just land, I go ahead. If most have houses, I move on to a different county.

Hopefully someone will add that they’ve found a way to work with counties that don’t use improvement data the way they should!

Cheers,
    Laurie

Kevin Farrell

Aroldo – RQPro has no control over how different counties input the data. Or how they don’t input the data. Some counties are really a problem for us. Laurie’s tip is a great one to follow.
    Here’s a couple more:
    1. In the filters you can select HOMESTEAD EXEMPTION. That opens a dialogue box that gives you a choice to include or exclude properties with homestead exemptions. I have found that this reduces about half of the properties with homes on them in counties where there are a lot of them like that.
    2. When I am looking at several counties I will get record counts in RQPro. Then I count the records with numbered street addresses per page. I go up to 10 pages. Then I write down the total number of those addresses that I found in 10 pages of results. That gives me a percentage of parcels that probably have homes on them. Some are over 50% and I don’t buy that data if I can’t figure out a way to filter out the homes.
    3. Another LA member suggested downloading the data and then eliminating any records where the mail address and the situs address are the same.

In some cases it is better to just look elsewhere for better data. I will work pretty hard to get the homes out of my data set because I don’t want to pay for wasted mail.

You are not doing it wrong. Some counties are like that. I have noticed that if one county in a state is unreliable with the data, then others will be too. They sort of adopt the same methods, good or bad.

Kevin Farrell - Moderator
    Need more help?
    Schedule a 60 minute call - https://calendly.com/kevin-629

Aroldo Villarreal
    Participant

Laurie, Thank you for the help!

Kevin, on your #3 above, would it just be easier/save some money to choose “absentee owner” instead of downloading all data and then deleting absentee owners? I ran a search on a county where I have family & saw what “absentee owner” would show. It’s just like any other list, it will only show the owners whose mailing address is different than situs address, regardless if they live in same town or out of state.

It seems like I will have to get out of Texas & start exploring other states with more parcels per county. Not sure why I’m getting so few results in the “green” counties on countywise. Either too few results or markets already dominated by other land investors selling at wholesale prices.

Kevin Farrell

Aroldo – That is worth trying. When you get into a situation like this you have to try different filters and keep checking the data to see if you are getting what you want. It will all depend on how the county enters the data or if they enter it at all in that category.

Kevin Farrell - Moderator
    Need more help?
    Schedule a 60 minute call - https://calendly.com/kevin-629

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.