LandInvestors.com Forums **Ask A Question** I Messed Up…Bought Wetlands..

• Creator
    Topic
    Chaz Albrecht
    Participant

So I recently bought two lot in a subdivision. I got too excited and comfortable with the ease of sending my purchase agreement to the title company and sitting back waiting on my deed. Didn’t take the time to call planning and zoning to check if they were build-able. I did a quick look on the map and it seemed there were houses built on similar landscape nearby, but I was wrong. I have two lots totally unbuild-able.

The lots were subdivided in the 60s before the restrictions on wetlands were in place. The county is too small to buy them back. If you have any concerns before buying do a quick search here https://www.fws.gov/wetlands/data/mapper.html.

Does anyone have a clue what can possibly be done with these lots? Thanks..

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Rod Hall
    Participant
    Pro

Ideas: sell as a recreational only, contact county to see if there is a way to apply for an exception, send letters to nearby owners.

Trevor Probandt
    Participant
    ProAdvanced

Congrats!!! You have a 4wheeler/mudder dream place!!! People love to drive their souped up jeeps, etc back and forth across their land. I would run with it.

Chaz Albrecht
    Participant
    Pro

@rodhall98 @trevorp Thanks for the replies guys. I’m going to call today to see what is allowed on the lot. Neighbor mailer sounds good too.

I’m kind of thinking I could sell the fact that the county may someday buy the lots back. The county would pay market for them right? Not sure how this works.. This is assuming the county grows.

Amy
    Participant
    Pro

Maybe see if there’s some sort of state land conservation group that would be interested in it before trying to advertise/sell to someone who will tear it up. Wetlands are a valuable resource to be preserved, and there are plenty of folks out there who know it.

What state is it in?

Chaz Albrecht
    Participant
    Pro

@aboyd03

Both lots are in Fairplay CO.

Mike Marshall
    Participant
    Advanced

Along the lines of what Amy has said, many developers in urban areas will purchase such wetland properties and use them as mitigation property for environmental impacts on their urban development as required by the local jurisdiction. There will be conditions that apply but may be worth checking into.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.