Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic

Claire
    Participant

I got my first call back today about my Landacademy mailing. (previously I had done delinquent tax only).

Not a happy camper. He said he was “concerned for me that I had fallen very far off the wagon.” He actually said it twice, first at the beginning of the conversation and then at the end.

For some reason I couldn’t pull off a Jill-like turnaround on him. 🙂 But I did try to make it sound like a mistake and ask him what he thought it was worth. No go. So I apologized and said I understood how he feels.

Here’s to developing a thicker skin.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Luke Smith
    ProAdvanced

If you can’t buy his land then maybe you can sell him some!

Chris
    Participant
    Pro

I had to look up “falling off the wagon”… but it only has the same meaning I knew

1.to resume any previously stopped behavior including smoking, drug use, overeating, or any other disavowed behavior.

Maybe you could tell him you don’t drink 🙂

Is everyone answering their phones directly? As for me, I’m sending them to voicemail. I figure if someone is motivated to sell, they will definitely leave a message.

mike dugan
    Participant

mine all go to google voice voicemail – saving some of the best ones (angriest!) for when I need a laugh

Luke Smith
    ProAdvanced

I tried to answer them all. I missed a bunch as I have two little kids running around. The ones that went to voice mail did not leave many messages. The ones who did were questions like how much are you offering? Even though the number is in bold in the letter. It is like they ask to see if I missed a 0 or something.

Not sure if the v-mail is a good idea.

Was thinking of the call centres like real estate agents use. Or the kind in Tim Ferris book The Four Hour Work Week. Have a FAQ section in their software to answer most calls. Have the calls answered by my company name. Have them collect their contact info, property info ect and send me the notes to see who I should spend my time on getting back to.

If I could figure that part out I could do much bigger mailings and not worry about how many phone calls might come in.

The other thought is about customer service. How many on the fence callers will get to the call center and just shut down? A call center is not going to close the deal for me. That might be the roadblock to scale this business.

Claire
    Participant
    Pro

@luketsmith
    @mdugan
    @diego79
    @stevenbutala
    @jilldewit

I admit to having a very thin skin and hating criticism. I think it’s part of my makeup that when lots of people tell me to go to hell, it makes me sad. I also don’t like insulting people.

That said, I could get over it if I felt confident I was pricing my offers correctly. I know Steven and Jill’s target is often $100/acre. Is that what you guys are actually sending out in your offer letters? Why do I feel like I’m way off base?

I’ve gotten 9 calls from my mailing of 745 last week, 6 of which have been negative/venomous/inquiring about typos/jokes. Steven, Jill, how many angry calls are an indication that my offers are too low?

Claire

p.s. The latest 3 voicemails are ambiguous–can’t tell if they want me to call them back so they can yell at me. I’m taking a breather until tomorrow because I can’t handle more insults. But I WILL call them back.

Luke Smith
    ProAdvanced

@claire
    I was under the impression that if we priced the offer at 25% of the market we could sell it at half the market to get a quick deal done.

Was just looking back through the completed deals listed on LandStay.com. There are lots of different counties listed in there. Some come up a lot more often.

Valencia NM
    Cochoise AZ
    Mohave AZ
    Some of those lots also have assessed values of stupid low numbers like $3 and $7. You could offer them multiples of their assessed values.

Wondering if the $100 per acre is more attainable in those specific counties than others.

Other counties listed a bunch in there seem to have cost in the $300 per acre neighbourhood.

Your favorite county has a number where people say ok. The secret sauce is that number. You only need 1% to say ok, i’ll take your money. You just have to figure out that number for your area.

At least you are getting calls on your last mailing. Mine is dead quiet.

Jill DeWit
    Participant
    ProAdvancedStaffPrincipal

@claire

You are just now beginning to *really* get into this and sure, always a few weird ones out there, but it works. I just offered $500 for 5 acres in Mohave County, AZ and seller thinks worth $14,000. I kindly let her know that if she later on decided to come back down to something more in my range (like $1,000) I would be interested.

Can’t tell you how many times they call me back. Hang in there!

Kevin Rhatigan
    Participant
    Pro

@claire
    @mikedugan
    @lukesmith
    @chris
    @jilldewit

Hi all, Glad to see Jill’s comment about offering $500 for land the owner thinks is worth $14,000.
    I am getting a lot of responses to my first mailing. Have a lot of calls to return tomorrow morning.
    Just curious – when a caller leaves an angry message is it best to call them back anyway? Or just leave them alone?

Hey Mike – I can relate , got my first profane voice mail today, this guy dropped the f bomb 4v times in a 30 second message! kind of funny in a perverse way!

Chris
    Participant
    Pro

@Kevin Rhatigan

The people who you are calling back, what type of voicemails are they leaving?

I would not call someone back who left a profane message.

Can you tell us how many letters did you send out, what’s your response been so far?

Kevin Rhatigan
    Participant
    Pro

@chris

Hi Chris,
    I sent out 2,400 letters on 10-13. Calls started coming in 10-21. So far I have had about 25 responses.
    Some messages are polite and positive. Many are just “please call me back”. Some are quite angry.
    I have no plans to call the guy back who left a profane message. It’s plenty of work following up on all the ones with potential.

Luke Smith
    ProAdvanced

2400? Go Kevin!
    Wish I had the nerve to start with that kind of size. After sending out 100 a day I got so many calls I was scared to send out 1000 at a time.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.