LandInvestors.com Forums **Ask A Question** Hiring a phone service vs doing it myself

• Creator
    Topic
    Jason

I’m new and in the process of getting ready to send out my first mailer and I’m trying to tie up all the loose ends before I do so. I have decided that I will hire a phone service to take my calls as I’m looking to scale this and would rather allocate those resources elsewhere. My question around this is should I take the calls for the first couple of mailers so that I can get a better feel for things or start out right away with the phone service. I feel there is value in taking those calls but also feel that there is value in consistency. I would rather start with one number on the first batch and always have that phone number moving forward. Please let me know your experiences as I’m hoping to move one direction or the other by the end of the week.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Marcus
    Participant

I’d say it depends on your schedule. Are you available to take calls at all hours of the day?

Kevin Farrell
    ProAdvanced

Jason – I agree that there is value in taking some of those calls but the convenience and consistency of starting off with one number and one process for handling incoming calls may be more important.

Kevin Farrell - Moderator
    Need more help?
    Schedule a 30 minute call - https://calendly.com/kevin-629

Milan
    Participant

It depends what kind of deals you plan to do. If those are the little deals under 5K on buy side and you do a lot of them yes hire a service or maybe not.

If you do bigger deals on which you make at least 10K do it yourself. I believe sellers have the BS radar high on. And no one want to talk to soulless institution.

But it all depends how far you want to go with all this. If doing 2-3 deals where you make 10K each per month is enough for you, like it is definitely enough for me, than do it yourself.

Even if you’re the most terrible on the phone. You have advantage over the stupid institution which everyone deals with daily. Everyone wants to talk to real person, even better CEO which is you.

John Pitkin
    Participant
    Pro

I would suggest taking the calls yourself as much as you can, divert the calls to an answering service or voice mail when you’re not available. It is important to use the same phone number for all calls from sellers, and make sure the phone number is portable.

Jason
    Pro

I sent out my first mailer and the info below was for the first call I received. The property looked great, 2.67 acres, access of a major road. Close to a couple small towns and within 1.5 hours to a major city. Price is looking good based off of comps. Then I realized the nicely manicured green space in front of the property is the town Cemetery. Access to the property goes on the road through the cemetery. I’m assuming that this in most cases is a deal breaker, but I don’t like to assume which is why I’m coming here. I on the other hand see this also an an opportunity to get the price down even more. The property owners are delinquent on their taxes ($129) so they are motivated to sell. I originally offered $670 an acre with comparable comps coming in around $2800 an acre. Should I walk away, try to negotiate the price down. What are your experiences with this. I’m not scared of a $1000 investment sitting for a few extra months if it brings me a great return. Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Kevin Farrell
    ProAdvanced

Jason – You are right about the seller who should be motivated. They have already given up on it by not paying taxes. You could negotiate a better price. I am not worried about the cemetary but you know some people won’t want to consider it. Everyone is different with stuff like that.

My biggest concern on this is access. Is that road going through the cemetary property and easement providing legal access to the subject property? That is the question you need to get an answer to. Call the county and ask about legal access and see if they can help you.

In the future I would recommend that you start a new thread when posting a new topic.

Good luck on this one.

Kevin Farrell - Moderator
    Need more help?
    Schedule a 30 minute call - https://calendly.com/kevin-629

Jason
    Pro

thank you Kevin. You are a rock star. I meant to start a new thread, on that one. Had too many windows open and must have clicked on the wrong one. Appreciate you help. I plan on hiring your services some point here and look forward to speaking with you in person.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.