LandInvestors.com Forums **Ask A Question** Finding the right County

• Creator
    Topic

Aharon
    Participant

finally making my decision on a county to send first mailer. It seems that some county’s pass the first two tests, lots of tax sales, and are in rural areas. when I look on land watch I notice that they are priced sooo high! or I cant find any sales under the 5 acre parcel size I am looking for. should I be looking for areas with sales that are proportionate to my lower asking price, or mail as long as there are a significant amount of tax sales and the county is rural?

@luketsmith
    @admin

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Ariel Muller
    Participant

@jilldewit
    @stevenbutala
    I have this same question, i find areas with high numbers of tax sales but but are priced well over 1000-2000 an acre. and with offers of 100 an acre I’ve been trying to find counties that sell at 1000ish an acre to put my offer around 10%.
    Should I not be this concerned with what the resale values are if there are large numbers of tax sales?
    also when i say a lot of tax sales I mean the most for that state which in Oregon is only 45 in the most active county I see. not alot compared to counties in arizona that has 1000’s per county. should I just forget about these states and save my time and money?
    Thanks for explaining this

Chris
    Participant
    Pro

@arielm I did a mailer on the east coast where the lowest cost 5 acre parcels are 15-20k. You can try the $100 an acre or you may have to adjust your pricing to the market. You’re just trying to get them at a certain percentage of market value. In some cases you might be paying $500 an acre and still be getting a screaming deal.

Aaron
    Participant
    Pro

@diego79

Chris,

How did your east coast mailer turn out? I am sending out one that will be in the same price range as yours.

Chris
    Participant
    Pro

@astewartconst

It did not go great. 🙂 I actually did $200 an acre. The offer amounts were more like 2%-10% of value. I had a higher percentage of angry callers and (as yet) haven’t closed any off of that mailing although I still have one more complicated deal in progress. I did have one or two “yes” responses, but there were other issues that didn’t let the deal happen. So yes, I think you can still get deals but maybe not with as high a percentage as other areas.

My observation has been that most of the $100 an acre deals are in far more rural areas, mainly in the Southwest desert areas and mostly west of the Mississippi (but not always).

In the end I don’t think it matters if you buy the property for a specific dollar amount per acre. The $100 an acre rule is very useful in a very large area of the country, but obviously it can’t apply to every single area. The more important data would be, can you buy them for 25% of the lowest comparable property listed on landwatch?

Aaron
    Participant
    Pro

@diego79

Thanks Chris, I am looking at more like $1,000 per acre offer price which would be 25% of the lowest comp that I can find.

I am looking to get my mailer finalized this weekend…..It has taken me more time that I had hoped.

Chris
    Participant
    Pro

@astewartconst

Cool, what property sizes are you targeting? What are you doing about the smaller properties – 1 acres and less?

Aaron
    Participant
    Pro

I am starting at 1.5-2 acres and have a 500 piece mailer that I am getting together…I didn’t intend for it to be only 500 so I am going to follow up with another this month to get 1000 mailers send…probably the same county but with 2.25 acres or something to get me another 500-1000 out.

I just discovered that on the dvd data disc under the chapter sections it has all the answers to the questions that I have been struggling with…for some reason I assumed the chapter sections were just a repeat of the paperwork that is in the packet so I never clicked on them. I am the kind of person who learns by doing so once I get this down I will be ready to rock and roll.

Ariel Muller
    Participant

@astewartconst
    @diego79
    are you guys targeting higher priced areas to see larger profit deals?
    Initially i was searching any rural states and the most rural counties i can think of but when it comes to the tax lists a lot of these counties don’t come up or have very little tax sales in comparison to states and counties that @stevenbutala mentions in the package (for instance in Ca the least populous county doesn’t even show up on tax sale list.com). so I’m thinking its the number of tax sales which is the deciding factor in weather or not to mail to that county, since lots of tax sales means folks in the area are more likley to be uninterested in continuing to own their land.
    Im still wiating on corelogic for now but Ill be targeting counties with the highest number of sales.
    Let me know what you think of my understanding from your experience
    thanks

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.