LandInvestors.com Forums **Ask A Question** emailed counties (New Jersey) for 1st time.

• Creator
    Topic

Carl Hammill
    Participant

Hello,
    Been studying for month for land business and yesterday was my first time contacted counties for deliquent list. I emailed them (email likely went to county clerk office). Most of them told me they don’t know of any list and that maybe I need to contact EACH township “tax collector”.

So my question is: am I contacting each town or the counties? The only county I spoke to said they have no list and taxes are submitted on municipality/township level. What has me confused is everything I heard read about talks about getting list from Counties.

Also, one county tax office told me they can not give me that type of information and I would need to fill out OPRA (Open Public Relations Act) form. Are others needing to do this?

thank you
    Carl

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Kevin Farrell
    ProAdvanced

Carl – Most of us have taken advantage of the Land Academy course and in that course we are advised to forget about tax delinquent properties and just mail to everyone who owns the type of land in that county that we are targeting. I started out trying to get these lists and a lot of counties make it difficult. If you must go down that path, I suggest trying different counties until you get one that will send you the data. You can also subscribe to data sources like Titlepro247 or Realquest to get that data filtered the way you want it.

Keep learning and don’t quit.

Michael Aillon
    Participant
    Pro

If you really want it, keep asking. You could threaten them with FOIA argument.

Most (if not all) of the colonial states are organized and run at the municipality level. Read this for more information and history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_government_in_the_United_States

Carl Hammill
    Participant

I am filling out OPRA form right now. Should I just specify I am looking for all land properties (delinquent & non-delinquent) properties for that Municipality? Will they even have capability of just giving me that information or would they only be able to give me all properties (land & housing properties) and if so, would that size file even deliver via email?

Kevin Farrell
    ProAdvanced

Carl – As mentioned before, many of us use data providers that present the data in a standard format so that it looks the same no matter what county we are looking at. Data directly from the county may be on spreadsheets, or printed on paper, etc. It can be a real headache to sort out the data into meaningful information. You are asking if a particular county will be able to sort your data and present it a certain way and we have no way of knowing that. Some counties will drag their feet and claim that they can’t give or sell you the data, etc. Not usually true, but hard to work around.

By the way – success in this business is All About the DATA. Great data yields great results consistently.

Carl Hammill
    Participant

Thanks Kevin,
    Good advice. I wanted the county information so I could compare it to data provider (Titlepro247 or Agentpro247) to make determination of who is giving more accurate data and if those data provider list are current. But as you said if counties aren’t willing to work with me its pretty difficult to sustain this model.

Anwar Montgomery
    Participant
    Pro

Welcome Carl.. Jersey!!!!

Jersey is a tax lien certificate state and its a tricky one. From my understanding, vacant land and other properties they deem as lower value or abandoned, the tax foreclosure process happens at the Municipal level. Higher value stuff happens on the county level. You can get the higher value stuff from each county online pretty easily. Here is Union County; https://salesweb.civilview.com/Sales/SalesSearch. The rural southern counties might not be online yet. Not sure, I haven’t checked.

Because people were buying these low value properties and not doing anything with them, NJ created this Abandoned Property Act. The municipalites might have whats called an “Abandon Property List”. Or, you can ask the tax collector for a “list of the eligible properties for tax sale.” I’ve done this dance for years with a lot of counties all over the country and what I’ve found is that if you do not ask precisely for what they offer, they will act like they don’t know what you’re talking about. Sometimes, they are truly ignorant to what you’re asking but I have family members that work for the government and I asked them about this exact issue (getting list or public information) and they told me, if the person doesn’t ask exactly for what we have, we do not fulfill their request. So I believe the issue might be you’re not asking for the right thing. But like I said, NJ is tricky and if you get the certificate, I believe you have to motion it to foreclosure at the Superior Court to get it deeded to you. With abandoned property, you can motion for a foreclosure immediately but there’s still a redemption period until the motion is signed. The foreclosure process in Jersey can be long so that signature might not come for a while. Like everyone said previously, just mail the whole county and see what comes back. But if you’re heart is set on pre-foreclosure, I think realtytrac.com will be your best source for getting all information together one workable format. I don’t know if they will have vacant land though. Piecing together each municipality is super ambitious and a serious time committment. And if a municipality doesn’t make a formal list of tax delinquency, FOIA might not apply. You can request that they make the list but they will charge you for their time. I’ve done this in California. They quoted me something absurd. As someone just getting starting out, tax delinquent in NJ might be a tall mountain to climb. I believe you can break the ice a little easier. Mail the whole county. People who owe taxes will call you back.

Good Luck!

Rod Hall
    Participant
    Pro

The data keven speaks of IS the county data. It is agrigated from their tax roles. The program is really worth it to move forward with the business of buying unwanted land and then selling at a profit. There other ways to buy and sell land. The land academy way is we are about here.

Carl Hammill
    Participant

Anwar thank you so much. I felt completely in dark about NJ and couldn’t figure out why not single other person is trying in NJ (btw: I think there might be huge opportunity because competition will be low since extra layers of regulation placed on vacant land will discourage most).

As for your description of working with Municipality you hit nail on head. Here was my very first conversation with a Tax Office:

Me: Is there way I can get list for delinquent & non-delinquent land properties in your township?
    Tax Office: I don’t have any list like that
    Me: When you send your delinquent notices to those who haven’t paid their property taxes what do you use?
    Tax Office: I use a list
    Me: So you do have a list
    Tax Office: well yes, but I can’t just give that to you. You have to fill out OPRA form.
    Me: thank you very much

I think I will take your advice and try out west (Texas) but I will still continue to work on NJ in low level way so maybe after year or so I have figured out how to operate.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.