LandInvestors.com Forums **Ask A Question** Do you look up the zoning before buying or ever?

• Creator
    Topic
    Luke Smith

I don’t usually check the zoning on these properties. Recently it seems like all I have been doing. Learning a lot too. Its totally different county by county. Some of the zoning info is in core logic some isn’t.

Knowing what is allowed and not allowed on the property makes them easier to market. It just takes a lot of time. I’m wondering if you guys ever check or get into that? Or have any pointers?

Thanks

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Kevin Farrell
    ProAdvanced

I haven’t checked it in the desert properties but recently I researched a rural county in the Midwest. They had a land use category called “forest” with a real low assessed value. I looked at about 12 of these properties and they all seemed to be small strips of land adjacent to farm land. Assessed at $100 and didn’t matter if it was 1 acre of 10 acres. I pulled them out of my list since I was uncertain of the right offer and the value when sold.

Kevin Farrell - Moderator
    Need more help?
    Schedule a 30 minute call - https://calendly.com/kevin-629

Rod Hall
    Participant
    Pro

I always check zoning.

John Pitkin
    Participant
    Pro

I always checking zoning and use restrictions during due diligence. I have a standard list of questions in a form. I send this off to Fancy Hands and let them make the phone call to collect the answers. When it’s time to post the property for sale, I just copy and paste this information onto my website and any online ads.

Jon Jasniak
    Participant
    Pro

I’ve never heard of fancy hands and what is that?! I spend a lot of time looking up zoning and it can be a real pain. Sometimes the zoning comes down to the actual subdivision and its covenants. So even more granular than just the county level!

Aaron Sauceda
    Participant
    Pro

@jpitkin Hi John, that’s a great idea! Would you mind sending me your list of standardized questions?

John Pitkin
    Participant
    Pro

For ______ County Parcel _______ (__ acre):
    Does this parcel have legal access?
    What is the zoning of this property?
    What is the minimum lot size?
    What uses are allowed?
    Is the site buildable?
    What types of buildings are allowed? Modular homes? Site-built only?
    Is camping allowed? If so, for how long? Other limitations?
    What are the allowable agricultural uses?
    Are animals allowed? If so, what types and limitations?

Trevor Probandt
    Participant
    ProAdvanced

Luke,

I spent an hour with a county today, getting sent to assessor, treasurer, assessor and zoning today. Found out it will cost me basically nothing to split four of my 40’s I have accepted offers on into 20 acre parcels. Was then reluctantly told that with a specific zoning I can basically, “Do whatever you want. Down to one acre parcels if you wanted to, even though it makes my life hell.” She told me it was still the wild wild west and then went on a rant about folks selling land locked land to folks on the internet and how they are all crooks. ha ha ha We laughed and laughed about those dirty, nasty, probably in-breed, internet land sellers.

I tried to do a zoning search in that county and…..no dice. Must find another way now. I have found a few sections with that zoning via GIS, so I may have to see what I can do to buy it cheap enough. Maybe team up with a heavy equipment guy and start turning sections into ten acre dream lots. If I can find a good county road to the section, game over.

Jill DeWit
    Participant
    ProAdvancedStaffPrincipal

This is GREAT stuff. Jack & I will chat about it on upcoming podcast show #440.

Thanks for sharing all!

Merritt Whitman
    Participant

Hilarious, Trevor. I just checked Godaddy– InbredLandseller.com is available right alongside DuelingBanjoAcquisitions.org. You have me thinking about my niche…

Luke Smith
    ProAdvanced

Heck yea, bring on the land splits. Wildcatsplitting.com. I got one where I got the buyer to build the road to the others. Was thinking of doing more of that if I find good dirt guys who want land its a win win all the way around.

Mike Marshall
    Participant
    Advanced

Creating a list like this is a great idea. One solid piece of advice I can provide is that although you may get a planner at the county to answer your questions it is highly advisable to have them show you where in the county development code those answers are provided. There are court decisions that essentially absolve local jurisdictions from liability when their employees provide inaccurate information regarding zoning, land use and subdivision related issues. Ultimately this may not be a problem on small deals but as you move to bigger deals where your reputation is on the line it may be better to get it in writing. Hope that helps!

Merritt Whitman
    Participant

Hi, Luke. I’ve been checking zoning with every single deal that I think I can lock. So far though I haven’t passed up on any deals because of zoning. Seems like even zoning that sounds restrictive such as “farming-exclusive” or “exclusive-agricultural” has flexibility to build a cabin or house in the counties I’m working in.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.