LandInvestors.com Forums **Ask A Question** Do I need a grantor's husband to sign a deed?

• Creator
    Topic
    Patrycja & Tom
    Participant

Dear LA Members,

Is it true that in California every time someone is selling the land, her/his spouse need to sing on the deed to? Does anyone knows exactly how this works? Does it matter if the Grantor was single when acquired title as an unmarried person or was married on that day?
    I am in a process of creating this deed and one of the Grantors is a widow woman, the other is married. There was no info about them being married or single on the vesting deed. Only their names and signatures. Should I add the grantor’s husband’s name and his signature on the deed?

Please help!

Best wishes :_)

Patrycja

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Rod Hall
    Participant
    Pro

Little unclear of the question but, Two grantors? Two signatures. Joint title and one widow. One signature with certified death certificate. One grantor newly married one signature. If concerned have spouse quit claim. CA is a common property state. You may be looking at a deed held as undivided interest. Like 50/50. Both have to sign. That help?

Luke Smith
    ProAdvanced

Just do up the deed and add another sign line (Spouse of ….) Leave another blank with print name under it.

If you don’t and sell through title later or your buyer does you will probably have to go back to them anyway for an affidavit of uninsured deed.

Sometimes you do sometimes you don’t but by collecting the signature of the spouse now it covers the community property state void. Another way is to collect a quit claim from the spouse. Or if before they married it was titled sole and separate property. That gets you out if it too.

Patrycja & Tom
    Participant
    ProAdvanced

Perfect! Thank you #RodHall and #LukeSmith. And Happy Friday to you :_)

Patrycja

Patrycja & Tom
    Participant
    ProAdvanced

Do you guys know how those things in Utah works by any chance? Does the spouse need to sing on the deed when the Grantor is a married person or not? Also, I’ve heard that in Utah, the deed must say who prepare the document. Is that true? Does anyone knows?

Please advice and thank you in advance!

Patrycja

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.