LandInvestors.com Forums **Ask A Question** Counties aren’t listed in Realtor research data

• Creator
    Topic
    Michael Morris
    Participant

Newbie question: Interested in a few counties for my first mailer, but Realtor.com has no info on them. Where do you go from here?

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Kevin Farrell
    ProAdvanced

Michael – I know that using Realtor.com is in the training, but that limits you to only those counties covered by Realtor.com. There are many counties that are good markets but are not on Realtor.com/data.

Go back to the Cash Flow From Land Training and review chapter 3. This covers the basics of finding a county. You should ignore the reference to using Taxlist.com to look for the number of properties on tax sales. That site has changed and I never used or reference that data in any of my mailers and I did OK.

In a nutshell, this is what I do and what I suggest that others do:
    1. Pick a county with rural vacant land based on # of records from RQPro. You want 1000 or more records in each county.
    2. Mail to counties that are one hour drive or less from a major metro area.
    3. Avoid counties that are separated from major metro area by water or mountains.
    4. Avoid counties with MORE than 4 or 5 wholesale properties listed for sale.
    5. Avoid counties with more than 30 or 40 listings for your target property size.
    6. Price it and mail it out.

Edited on 11/22/19. Changes in bold
    Edited on 11/23/19 because I botched my previous edit.

Kevin Farrell - Moderator
    Need more help?
    Schedule a 30 minute call - https://calendly.com/kevin-629

Michael Morris
    Participant
    Pro

I was hoping you’d reply Kevin. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. I’m also reviewing both CFFL and 1.0 now.
    Cheers
    Mike

Rod Hall
    Participant
    Pro

Keven. On number 4. Do you mean less than 4-5 wholesale listings?

Jannette & Robert Jackson
    Participant
    Pro

Rod, I think Kevin means less than 4-5 listings by investors like us, so that you’re not mailing a county that a lot of other investors have sent mailers to. Kevin?

Kevin Farrell
    ProAdvanced

Rod – yes, if I see 5 wholesale listings or more, I usually move on to another county. Since I pull record counts on up to 12 counties at a time, it is just part of my process of narrowing down the counties that I think will give me the best chance of landing good deals. I don’t want to compete with those wholesale deals.

Need more help?

Aroldo Villarreal
    Participant
    Pro

Kevin, your first reply is off amazing help!

Aroldo Villarreal
    Participant
    Pro

Kevin, for the first criteria:
    “1. Pick a county with rural vacant land based on # of records from RQPro. You want 1000 or more records in each county.”
    is that 1000 records or the parcel size that you were looking for or 1,000 records with no filter on size/acreage?

Aroldo Villarreal
    Participant
    Pro

*For, not or

Kevin Farrell
    ProAdvanced

Aroldo – Sorry, I meant 1,000 records minimum raw data for a particular size – like 5 acres. This will scrub down to 500 to 800 or so. If I had 3 counties with 500 records each after scrubbing then I could mail out 1500. Or try to do one county a week at 500 to 800. If you go to the large SW states you can find counties with over 3000 records for one parcel size. That will yield almost 2000 records after scrubbing it.

Need more help?

lane crosby
    Participant
    Pro

How are you guys getting more than a 1000 records? I’ve put in a few different counties and it’s almost like it caps at 1000? What am I doing wrong? Thanks

Lane

Rod Hall
    Participant
    Pro

Lane. Did you check your number of records in your specs? Set it higher like 10k or something. Otherwise maybe your search is to narrow. Counties can be different. e.g. rural residential may pull 5k in one county and 15k in another. Just keep adding more types of property to your search and see if you get more.

Aroldo Villarreal
    Participant
    Pro

Kevin, I saw your edit:
    4. Avoid counties with more less than 4 or 5 wholesale properties listed for sale.

Does that mean we want to see MORE wholesale properties rather than less?

Kevin Farrell
    ProAdvanced

Sorry Aroldo, I goofed. I want LESS than 4 or 5 wholesale listings. I usually avoid counties with MORE than 4 or 5 wholesale listings.

Need more help?

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.