• Creator
    Topic

Ron DiIenno
    Participant

Most of my sales I close in-house. I perform my usual due diligence (title search, property restrictions, etc.) I have the buyer send me the signed sales agreement along with a cashier’s check for the sale amount. However, I think I have lost a few sales because buyers think it is too risky or some kind of scam by just sending their check to me. Should I being doing this differently? Perhaps just sending them all through a title company? I just hate to spend that extra money going through a title company if it’s not necessary.

I would appreciate any suggestions or recommendations.

Ron

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Jill DeWit
    Participant
    ProAdvancedStaffPrincipal

Hi Ron!

Great question. We have a $5k rule of thumb. More than $5k, we recommend using a title agency. Under $5k, we complete ourselves also. Having a website, contact info, track record, etc. – takes time but leads credibility and helps folks feel comfortable with you and your business.

Hope this helps!

Jill

@rondilenno

George Dean
    Participant

@jilldewit

I like the idea of only buying $5K+ properties and using a title agency to do the closings for the simplicity, legitimacy, legality, blah blah blah….

Is it be possible/recommended to just “specialize” in $5K up properties? I am assuming 40+ acre properties?

George

Jill DeWit
    Participant

@george

No plan is really crazy. Depends on your budget. You can do quite well specializing in a specific size category.

-Jill

Ben H
    Participant
    Pro

Question about researching properties:

I recently completed my 1st mailing to a county in New Mexico. I started getting calls this week and have been pleasantly surprised with the response rate (especially since I offered $75/AC for most of the properties). I now have (4) potential sellers I’m talking with on (7) properties.

So, here’s the rub – the APN # doesn’t pull up anything in Google Earth Pro and the data pull didn’t give me the Township, etc., to plug into Earthpoint. We called the county and they don’t have GIS (except for emergency responders). I’m out of ideas on how to get a good look at these properties in New Mexico from Texas and I’d think I’d need to have some idea about access before sending WEGOLOOK. Any/all suggestions at this point would be welcome. Thank you in advance!

@jilldewit
    @admin

Luke Smith
    ProAdvanced

@bhughes
    Do you have agentpro247 or RealQuest/CoreLogic or whatever they call themselves.

You might want to wait for Steve’s version of those programs to see if you can do property searches on there.

They give you maps, gps coordinates, and lots of other data.

You could also order the old fashioned maps from the county and figure it form there too.

Another thought is that county might no be a good one to start in because you can’t get enough data very easily.

Ben H
    Participant
    Pro

@luketsmith

Currently using AgentPro. Really pleased with the respose rate but I already noted the challenges with researching. In my 2nd mailer (which is going to CA instead of NM), the data appears much better (includes Township, Range, LAT/LON, etc.). 1st one was a great learning experience and I will probably still buy a few properties (hopefully) by getting the data from the county directly – plus some of the potential sellers had properties in other states they want to sell. I know Steve/Jill say in the program to always ask if they have other properties for sale but, I was still floored by how effective that strategy is when I asked the question. Out of (11) respones so far, (7) have multiple properties.

S. Jack Butala
    Participant

@codyharris
    @bhughes
    @luketsmith
    @george
    @rdiienno1

Thanks for all of your input and questions about data. We are now a licensed re-seller of Corelogic data. The program will be released some time this month (January 2016). It’s structured to save Land Academy members a substantial amount of money over buying the data directly from CoreLogic. It will be coupled with a fantastic deal from a direct mail company and several other land resource discounts.

Jill and I put this together with the notion that if we all use the same data and mailing company we can learn from each other more efficiently.

Trouble with county-direct data and Agentpro 24/7 are recurring themes on SuccessPlant and in our business in general.

The program details with be released here on SuccessPlant shortly. Instructional videos and other training material will be included as needed.

Thanks. SB…

Luke Smith
    ProAdvanced

@bhughes

People who own vacant land tend to own other land too. I am seeing that more and more.

@admin
    I am sure the new program will be awesome and just get better over time. Can’t wait to try it. Will still try to use both systems next to each other for a while so I can compare different counties or depending on price keep both.

Would like to do a mailer to Wayne County hood house owners. Even though everyone hates the area, I collect a lot of rent out of there and would like to trade in my rentals for a lot more by using this mailer system.

Can you check to see if Wayne county is in there so I can pull up old deeds? Agentpro247 does not cover that area with more than basic info. I wonder if they are based out of California and that is where there data is the best.

Thanks!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.