LandInvestors.com Forums **Ask A Question** Blocked easement

• Creator
    Topic
    Andrew W
    Participant

This would be my first deal, of course, it has some issues. Seller says a neighbor has blocked the easement that accesses the parcel with a make shift gate/trash. Besides confirming the easement is legal/recorded, what would you do?

thanks! Andrew

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Kevin Farrell
    ProAdvanced

First determine that it is a legal easement. If not, walk away. If legal you can buy it but you may have to take steps to clear the obstruction and that may be more than it is worth. Or buy it and advise anyone who goes out to look at it of the situation. They can go around or over it if they want to. Not sure if you are talking about desert land or less rural stuff.

I would say that this is a bad choice for your first deal. Look for low hanging fruit. Easy deals with living owners, etc.

Kevin Farrell - Moderator
    Need more help?
    Schedule a 30 minute call - https://calendly.com/kevin-629

Luke Smith
    ProAdvanced

One of my oldest deals in inventory has an easement from one side and a road from the other. Neighbor planted trees across the road. Put a big old couch out there in the way. The power line goes down the blocked road to the land too. Neighbor chased off all my buyers. Went to court with one of them before they eventually gave up. It is such a mess I would say comical if I had it solved but I don’t. Please stay away from this problem if you can.

If you need to learn that lesson on your own please call the neighbors first. Hear them out.

Option the stupid thing. Trust me the seller can’t sell it and has no other option. You make up the terms and the price, you don’t have to pay for it. Test it on the market. Some of them sell. They arn’t worth your time.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.