LandInvestors.com Forums **Ask A Question** Attorneys required for real estate deals in certain states?

• Creator
    Topic

Jeff Unruh
    Participant

I believe (I could be mistaken), but the following states require an attorney to close a real estate deal? VT, NH, ME, MA, RI, CT, DE, WV, NC, SC, GA, MS

I am confused when I look at LW and notice properties in ME that are going for $3,400. I have worked with 1 attorney in the past on another subject and it was extremely costly, so what am I missing about these states? Maybe I have the wrong list of states that require an attorney and you can’t close it by yourself or maybe I just have the cost of an attorney wrong?

Thank you in advance for all of your help.

Jeff Unruh

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Milan
    Participant

If I transfer property in attorney states to you without attorney with deed on toalette paper and sign in front of notary , who is there to tell you you don’t own it? I don’t think they can take it away from you.

So I think this is what they are doing. On low cost properties. It’s worth rebelling for such a little cost.

Am I wrong?

Jeff Unruh
    Participant

Milan – That must be the case that they are hoping no one calls them out as it being illegal.

Milan
    Participant

Is it really illegal Jeff? Or is it just a general rule counties set for closing with attorney. I don’t think it is illegal.

If my grandpa gave me his property on his death bed without a presence of attorney, he wasn’t doing anything illegal I think.

I would accept property without attorney close anytime, but I wouldn’t do it for a lot of money.

Jeff Unruh
    Participant

Milan – I was just reading a legal site when saw this and it was stated that these states must use an attorney. I agree, the word “must” does not actually mean it is illegal.

Joe Martin
    Participant
    ProAdvanced

Hi Jeff,
    My suggestion for working is attorney states is to only send offers that justify closing with an attorney. For me, that’s a buy for $5k+, sell for $15k+. I’ve found plenty of closing attorneys who can close a deal very quickly, the trick is to find an attorney who specializes in Real Estate. So if you see family law, traffic, or any other legal service on their website, they’re likely not your person. Hope this helps.

Joe Martin

Jeff Unruh
    Participant

Joe,

Thank you for the information.

Marcus
    Participant
    Pro

How much are attorneys charging to handle closings?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.