LandInvestors.com Forums **Ask A Question** Am I missing something? Formatting names in the Mailer

• Creator
    Topic

Collins B. Case
    Participant

Hi, I’m watching Stevie Jay scrub-a-dub data in Chapter 4 of LA RVL 1.0… On the mailers I sent before becoming a LA member, I quickly formatted the names throughout the data to make sense for the recipient.

(For example, if the County had something weird for the recipient such as “J. Trump, Donald”… I changed the recipient’s name to “Donald J. Trump”)
    Does LA teach not spending time on this?
    I apologize if I missed this step – I was probably gazing out of my window at my family playing in the yard while guzzling coffee in my office trying to make the dolla holla.

Thanks,
    CC

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Rod Hall
    Participant
    Pro

First name then last name is always a column in data I pull from land academy’s real quest pro

Britton Miller
    Participant
    Pro

I don’t believe they mention it in the training, but I have scanned the data for obvious issues like blanks, and multiple names and either modified or deleted so the letter makes sense. I don’t think anyone would open a letter from someone if their name isn’t spelled right on the outside.

Like Rod mentioned, just pull the column with the full name and you don’t have to worry about this.

I also think it might not be mentioned in the program because if you really were mailing thousands of letters, then it likely won’t affect your response rate overall. It’s just hard for me to pay for junk mail, so I review it. Lol

Collins B. Case
    Participant
    Pro

Ok, as a test, I pulled one line item of data that has two/mulitple owners… (*Please see attachment*)

What is the wisest approach to “addressing” (PUN intended) errors in ownership/recipient data as seen in the attached screen shot? As you see… it’s not as easy as Ctrl+F’ing “water” or “railroads”

What do you guys think? IMHO, it is worth bringing up because there is a LARGE percentage of similar errors in county data.

Thanks,
    CC

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Kevin Farrell
    ProAdvanced

Collins – Here is what you need to do: save these two columns – Owner First Name & Owner Name (First Name First). Delete the other columns having to do with names. Now you can easily see that the owner is Stephen J. Anthony. Sometimes the First Name column is blank and there is a tedious job that you must do at the end of your list scrubbing. You have to go through and make sure that there is something in that First Name column for every property on your list. Look at the Owner name (First Name First) column and figure out how to address this person. It might say Linwood Baptist Church and I would just copy that entire name into the First Name column. Some are trickier like Justice Arnold J Family Trust and I would write Justice Family or Arnold in the First Name column. Just remember how your merge document will handle that field and treat it accordingly.

I spend more time fixing the first name column than anything else except pricing. As mentioned, it is important. If your salutation does not make sense, the person may not continue reading and will throw it away as “Junk”. We don’t want our letters to be seen as junk by the recipient.

On a related topic. In the example above I wrote Justice Arnold J Family Trust. Notice how it is Last Name, First Name, Middle Initial? I used to fix all of those in the Owner Name (First Name First) column. Some counties do it this way and some don’t. It was so time consuming that I quit fixing them. I send the letters out with the last name first in the address on the letter. It still gets delivered and I reasoned that the recipient gets other mail addressed this way and they open it up. You can fix them if you want to but it can take hours on a big data set.

Collins B. Case
    Participant
    Pro

Hi Kevin, thanks. I’m with you on formatting the names… and I have spent a lot of time doing this myself. So, I suppose that somewhat answers my question. However, I’ve not yet put out what I would consider a LARGE mailer like Steve uses here (17,000+). BUT, while the flash fill function is nice for formatting names… we’re still talking about A LOT of time on such a large mailer. I was curious if it’s advisable to just hit send sans name formatting and still maintain the 1/300ish ratio.
    What are your thoughts on multiple owners with different last names? Is it worth the time formatting the names?

I know you don’t duck hunt with a rifle… but I at least want to avoid shooting blanks.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.